Pickup Selector Switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SlapMooreBass1, Jan 2, 2013.

?

How would I wire this switch

1. Use the switch as a kill switch

23.1%
  2. Find a better way to wire it

69.2%
  3. Replace the switch

7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SlapMooreBass1

SlapMooreBass1

Hey Guys, I recently installed a Gibson style toggle switch in my squier jaguar bass. My problem is that out of the two wiring diagrams I have tried, neither of them have worked to make the switch change between the neck pickup/both/bridge pickup. No matter which position it is in it keeps both pickups on at the same time. Can someone help me with a better wiring diagram???? It would be awesome if someone could help me out here.
    P.S. the bass has 2 tone knobs and 1 volume, 1 P-bass pickup and 1 J-bass pickup

:help::confused::meh:
  2. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Do you mean VVT or is it TTV?

If the latter it will be explained, as it was to me, why this doesn't work. I thought it would, but the clear explanations given to me made me understand why not.

Having two of these modded, I find it amazing the things being done to them. I know Fender could have no idea what they were unleashing when they released them.
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You must have it wired wrong. If it's the open frame Switchcraft style, each pickup goes to the controls, and then to each outside terminal on the switch. The two middle terminals connect together, and then to the volume control and then to the jack.

Follow this for the switch:

http://images.gibson.com/Lifestyle/Support/Files/Schematics/lpdswiring.gif

If it's the closed box kind, same thing. Each pickup/tone control goes to the two outside terminals, and the middle goes to the volume pot.
  4. SlapMooreBass1

SlapMooreBass1

If the switch is the problem, is there a way to test it to make sure it works before i try to wire it again?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Have a volt/ohm meter or a continuity tester? Check for continuity across the terminals, with the switch in every position.
  7. SlapMooreBass1

SlapMooreBass1

Ive tried wiring it like in the diagram posted above, but now i'm not getting any utput from the bass when i plug it into the amp. Are both the left and right outer parts of the jack supposed to be conected (along with the pickups) to the volume pot and is the middle wire supposed to be connected to the tone pot where it connects to the volume pot?? and if so which tone pot??
  8. iunno

iunno

Woah, no. The pickup leads go to the tone pots, then continue to the outer terminals of the jack. The middle terminal of the jack is the output, which goes to the volume, then the jack.

EDIT: This is what you want.