pickup solution for P-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by honkyfunk, Dec 7, 2013.

1. honkyfunk

honkyfunk

After months of agonizing research and thought process, I arrived at the pinnacle of solutions for the ultimate pickup to make my off-the-shelf P-bass sound super sweet.. This discovery and final decision happened as I was playing the bass to some drum loops:

The pickup: Stock Fender P-bass pickup that came with the bass.

For whatever reason, I happen to have the "perfect storm" of setup, pickup height, strings (La Bella flat 45-109), bridge (hipshot vintage with string-ball shroud), and the rest is off-the-shelf Mexican P-bass. It is one of the best, roundest, colorful, even, quintessential P-bass sounds I've ever heard. I've decided to leave the bass alone, and just play the heck out of it. I guess the lesson here is: sometimes it isn't worth the agony and the over-spending to get the bass where you might want it. It could be right at the present time. Thoughts Y'all?

2. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    These kinds of decisions used to happen a lot before the internet.

3. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

MIM P's don't sound bad. If you like it, no need to change.

Just curious, what have you compared your current setup to?

4. honkyfunk

honkyfunk

Thx, Landau roof. Comparisons were dozens, maybe more, of youtube demos, but the strongest comparisons were the 3 other P-basses I've got that have everything from Seymour Duncan to Lollar (very good btw) to JBE and various after-market hardware options. The mostly stock configuration beats them all. Maybe I got lucky with this particular bass?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I've found no urge to change the stock p'ups in my MIM Precision. The only mods I've done are a black pickguard and a set of LaBella 760FS flats.

7. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

My P pickup is a '58 split coil made by The Creamery, a UK business solely run by Jaime Campbell. He makes everything from scratch and hand winds each product . It sounds fantastic..

8. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Been playing my stock mim P bass for a few years now. Played a few blues jams with some guys with mia's and a couple modified mia's. Wouldn't trade mine for any of them.:bassist:

9. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

This is it here. No internet, less gas, more happy bass owners. Very happy with the stock MIM P pup in mine.

10. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

That is SO true!

11. ewe2

ewe2

Certainly before Talkbass :bag: I see the same problem with the G&L folks, a mad rush to mod a perfectly good instrument because it has to have "the sound". There are ways to get that, sometimes with the same instrument, sometimes with a different instrument, but if it ain't broke don't fix it!

12. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

I wouldn't change a thing.