Pickup spacing on a 35" J Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Feb 6, 2014.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Does anyone here know what the correct pickup location and spacing should be on a 35" scale J bass?
    I want it to be the equivalent of a 70s style j bass. That would be 4" between the pickups but for a 35" scale the locations should be different, right?
  2. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

I am just guessing... but if it were me, I would measure from the bridge and put them in almost the exact same spot as the 34.

I might cheat the neck pup up a hair.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    To put the pickups at the same nodal point on the strings you would place the centre line of the neck pickup 28[SUP]5/8[/SUP]" from the leading edge of the nut and the centre line of the bridge pickup 32[SUP]3/4[/SUP]" from the nut. You need to measure from the nut since there is no fixed reference point for the bridge because of the staggered saddles.
  4. MPU

MPU

Simple maths. Multiply the pickup position measures from 34" scale bass with 35:34.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Thank you very much, that was exactly the info I needed.
    I have this KSD Bass that I pretty much gutted and modded into a different instrument (including pickup spacing) and I wanted to verify the spacing. I had it exactly like the measurements you gave me.