pickup specs - near enough?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pure.Fusion, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Hi all,

Thinking about swapping out an old Ibanez DX5 soapbar with a Bartolini CF5CBC or (if I'm keen to deal with the mismatching holes) the M45CBC

Both of these Bartolini pickups specify they are for 66mm to 72mm string spacing.

I measure my string width to be 62mm. Will I have sound issues using these replacements?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers,
    FM

2. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Bump.

Am I missing something obvious? A question to silly to answer?

Maybe just a point in the right direction?

Cheers

3. mitchjonbass

mitchjonbass

Did you ever replace the pups? I am about to do the same thing....I am going with the M45CBC..Did you replace the vari-mid as well?

4. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Cool. How did you end up choosing the M45CBC?

I looked at the M45CBC too but it's got a different screw hole pattern and at this time there's no specific tonal reason to go down this path over the CF5CBC which should fit right in.

No haven't done it yet. I'm just hoping the Barts are different than the stock Ibanez pickups, in a direction that I like.

I also shoe-horned in a Bartolini NTBT 3.3 into the cavity to give me some more scope. Turns out I really needed that mid control :( Ahhh well, you suck it and see don't you.....

FM

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mitchjonbass

mitchjonbass

Because of the dimensions...I didn't notice about the screw holes..is that a problem?

7. mitchjonbass

mitchjonbass

Are the dimensions of the CF5CB the same as the ADX5?

8. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

9. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

From measuring my DX5s, they are the same dimensions as the specs as the CF5CB on the Bartolini web site.

I'm no expert, I'm sifting through this crap myself. You better check out your own specs.

FM

10. mitchjonbass

mitchjonbass

Well I am glad I found your post..seems like asking about ADX5 and Bartolini's in the same thread is bad mojo. What model Ibanez do you have? Mine is a 97 SR1015..

11. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

SR1015? Nice :)

Yup, it's bizar. There are a lot of threads going in many forums about this and not a lot of interest. I get the feeling that it's a reliable cheap bass and a lot of people's first. Perhaps the forums have been belted over the ears by too many I'm-new-to-bass questions.

Mine's an ooooold SR405 ( I think 95? I forgot). Got it with the frets removed for a super bargain and wouldn't have bought one otherwise. Turns out it's super nimble to throw around and It's just a buzz playing it.

...Just having a bit of trouble squeezing some tone out of it. Not enough mids, thus the mods.

FM

12. mitchjonbass

mitchjonbass

I have played a 74 Jazz w/ Dimarzio pups for a loooong time, so active pups are new to me. Going to upgrade the electronics so thats why I am doing all this research and asking a lot of questions. Thanks for being helpful! I appreciate it.