1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickup/string selection interface

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Dec 20, 2013.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

When I decided to take up bass again last year I bought a used Ibanez SR406 with the intent of making it into a poor man's Yamaha 'John Patatucci' bass. With those stock DX6 pickups the sound was so damn smooth & generic-- good only for oldies pop. I replaced those DX6 humbuckers with Carvin single coils, & added DR MM strings. Didn't get that MM Jazz sound even though the Ibanez has active electronics--still way too smooth. I got a SDAJB that does get a prominent growl.

As soon as word got out I got a bass & was looking for amp gear, I was immediately hired for an on going gig.....doing oldies, pop, rock, folk, country, & some jazz. (All with the same group.)

I took the DRs off the SR406 & put on Thomastik-Infeld Jazz round-wounds. Very impressive strings. They come in gauges .118, .089, .068, .051, .043., .029. The B E A and D string are surprisingly robust in tone. No, not quite as much as hex core .130, .105, .085, etc. The one string that's a little too twangy is the g
    .043. .043 is a pretty legit gauge for any g string
    I'm convinced that it is the combination of the string, single coil pickups, & cheap active Ibanez eq. I also did put that same .043 TI g string on an Squire VM bass (with those robust Duncan J105s) & it still was somewhat twangy.

Guess I'll put those DX6s back on & see how the TIs sound, particularly the g string. I guess any double coil (even a crappy DX6) can impart a beefier sound to those kind of strings. I hope. I might just give up & sell the bass & strings at a loss. Any other experiences out there with a twangy g string on single coils, later rectified with a double coil?
  2. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

The point is that .043 is the least likely gauge to sound twangy. By any standards it's not too light a gauge for a G string.

The others .051, .068, .089 etc. are "super slinky", & they're not twangy at all.
  3. BruceWane

BruceWane

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but typically a larger gauge string, at a given tuning, will have more harmonics than a thinner gauge at the same tuning. Thinner strings typically have less harmonics, so the fundamental frequency is more prominent.

It seems like a thicker string should have a "beefier" sound, but usually the opposite is true - thicker is usually brighter than a thinner string at the same tuning.

Think of it this way - at a given tuning, a larger gauge string will be tighter than a smaller gauge, right? Tighter string = brighter tone.

I think you might want to try tuning that G string down a step or two or three to see if the sound thickens up. If that works well, consider going to a thinner gauge that will be looser when tuned to G. You could try tuning that .029 down to G, but I kinda think that might be too loose.