Pickup stuck

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by happychicken, Mar 17, 2014.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Hi I recently got a "new to me" bass and noticed the pickups don't move when screws are turned. I took screws out and pickup won't move. I think it is jammed into the route.
    Does anyone know how to remove this safely without breaking the pup or damaging the bass?
    I measured the pickups at 4" wide and 1 3/8 in height I believe they are ken Armstrong. In case this goes south anyone know a pickup that will fit? Maybe slightly smaller then these pups

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Remove the screws entirely and pull till it comes out. That's really all you can do that I know of. Maybe you could find a spot to jam a flat piece of metal in there and wedge them out, but I'd be worried about breaking the pickups doing that.

3. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I kinda like it having it stuck because I know it won't move at all when I play.

4. happychicken

Yeah I know but the pick up is very low on one side and too far from strings. If it was in a good position I wouldn't care really.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Try to pull from the low side first, or try to get the high side down more even with the low side and pull it out evenly. It likely got jammed because of the ridiculous angle.

7. happychicken

Ill give that a shot! It does actually look pushed into the wood on the low side. That angle may be the problem!

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Well if it were my bass on my bench, I would put masking tape on the edges of the pickup and use my channel lock pliers to carefully grip where the tape is and wiggle forward and back til it came up (or out).

9. GlennW

GlennW

Try two things:
    1) Patience
    2) Blow dryer

10. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

How does a blowdryer work into this.

11. GlennW

GlennW

Expansion and contraction.

12. happychicken

Heat would cause expantion of the wood and plastic but how would that get it unstuck? Wouldn't that just get it more stuck? Hmmm... Maybe heat then cool off a few times with some wiggling?
    Just want to say thanks to everyone for responses!

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

As 'JimmyM' said, try to get it level/even first, then maybe a butterknife with cloth on both sides alongside (if enough space) to wiggle a bit- being very careful with the finish at the edge of the cutout.
    Or, a long screw that fits snugly in the low side screw hole to help lift it/wiggle it out.

14. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

See if you can get some long screws that are a little bigger than the ones holding the pickup in. Try to screw them in to the ears just enough to get a grip, then use them to pull on the pickup.

15. Precision101

Precision101

Is had a problem similar to this were the screw was stripped and I couldn't turn it. So I turned it into a flathead:D

16. happychicken

Well the screws are stripping but I have been turning then with a pair of needle nose pliers. Longer screws huh.... Hmm il give that a shot

17. Precision101

Precision101

Yeah get longer screws. I didn't have any screws long enough at the time so I had to improvise.

18. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    You can try to use the screw threads to "hook" the inside edge of the hole and pull the pickup out, using the screws.
    Or, make a small hook of some sort to get the same result.

Typically, you can just rock them out by hand. I've seen plenty of stuck pickups, but never had one that was immoveable.

19. happychicken

Yeah this is the first time for me dealing with this also. They are both stuck in there good. Any idea who would sell these longer screws? Just go to hardware store?