1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pickup suggestions needed

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by salcott, Apr 10, 2012.

1. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

I have a Squier Vintage Modified P bass-it came to me with a Darkstar, which is now in another bass. I need a passive pickup that leans more toward the low mids and above to help compensate for the placement, which is right by the end of the neck. Size is not an issue, as the cavity is 2"x4". Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. stedtale

stedtale

3. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

I agree with stedtale... It sounds like the Nords would be a good fit for you!

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Thanks-I went through the pickup stash and have ended up with a Bartolini M34. It was too honky in the center position on another bass, but on the Squier, it de-emphasizes the lows, and has a nice bit of growl, just what I was looking for. Best of all, I already had it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JMW

JMW

In part, it depends on how much you are willing to spend on a pickup. I took the plunge and installed a Bartolini 8S pickup on my MIM Fender Precision Bass. The Bartolini is advertised as a pickup that provides enhanced lows and low-mids, and it delivers. The pickup is a big improvement over the stock MIM pickup, which in comparison sounds harsh, thin, "barky" and weak in the lows. My tech also loves the Bartolini- he agrees that it is a superior pickup. It has a very "smooth", refined tone with strong yet clear lows. I wouldn't hesitate to my Fender MIM bass on a recording date, now that it has been equiped with this pickup.

Your local music store should be able to order one for you.

One issue to consider, however, is the cost of the Bartolini, relative to the value of your Squier P Bass. If you love the acoustic sound and neck feel of your Squier and intend to keep it forn the next several years, then perhaps it makes sense to spend money on something like a Bartolini.

A somewhat cheaper alternative is the Fender Original 1962 P Bass Pickup. It sells online new for $70. I do not own a bass equiped with this pickup, but the reviews are quite positive.