Pickups and LED Lights

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PYK392, Dec 4, 2013.

1. PYK392

PYK392

Hey Everyone, just joined the forum tonight and looking for some help from you experts. I play for my church and we have LED lights for the stage, my pickups are picking up signals from the lights and its translating into very loud high pitched buzzing. Our sound guy is very knowledgeable and said something about doing a wrap on the inside of my bass ( or something along those lines) Any experience with this problem or recommendations for fixing it? Thanks

Edited: Bass is a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 with 2 Humbucking Pickups

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

As sound guy says, the bass seems to be picking up the high frequency power supplies for the LEDs. The fix is to shield the bass. This means you line the cavities where the controls and pickups are with grounded copper foil or conductive paint. Search online for guitar or bass shielding instructions. It's commonly needed to eliminate hum or other noise pickup. You can do it yourself with a bit of care (especially if you get the StewMac foil with conductive adhesive) or you can pay a tech to do it for you.

3. PYK392

PYK392

Great, thanks! I don't know much about the technical side of things, I just play. I was hoping he wouldn't have to tear into my bass and could just do the inside of the pickups.