1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pickups for passive dingwall sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Naxn, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Naxn

Naxn

Disclaimer: I know.. it's a Dingwall and if I want that sound I should just stick with my dingwall. Obviously, I love the way my Dingwall sounds, It just doesn't fit my play style. So I'm going to try and piece together a 35" scale ballpark sounding version (5 string).

First things first, for research purposes, I have no idea how to describe that bass sound. Midrange-y? Slightly growly? hi-fi?

I'm trying to figure out what pickups to use to get that kind of tone but I have no idea what keywords to use to start researching pickups. So I'm here to ask the pickup gurus of talkbass for help.

The ABZ is passive and I'd prefer to go that route. I know there is an option for a pre-amp, I don't know if many have them, I haven't cracked mine open to check, but I'd like to avoid batteries if I could. The sound you hear at 6m31s is both pickups wired in series so I'm assuming that is a good place to start. Another bonus is there are only 3 knobs on my ABZ which I like and even better, since I know series is the sound I'm looking for, I can probably reduce the knob count to 2.

The closest thing I've found so far are Nordstrand Dual Coils (Series version) but I'm looking for other options. Nordtrands don't seem to be very amateur builder friendly. I've built several basses, and I can follow wiring diagrams well enough, but Nordstrands documentation, or lack thereof, is beyond my skill level.

Sorry, I guess this post is all over the place, but the goal is to figure out what pickups to use to get that type of tone.

Thanks!

2. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

I believe that Nordstrand is working on some pups with Dingwall that will be for standard scale basses, and have the same tone. You might want to wait for those!

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

There are almost no lows in this sound, it's all midrange. Very quick attack.
    It's typically the kind of tone you get when you compress the hell out of a JB.
    I'm not sure how much of it comes from the bass. I'd try a heavy compression on your bass before modifying anything.

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    interesting:

http://nordstrandpickups.com/faq%2Dsupport/schematics/

And if you can't find the info you're looking for, you can always contact the shop ;)

(BTW, the website is being rebuilt as we speak….)

Dingwall pups (by Nordstrand) are available (just released) but no dealer have them yet…

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

We tested them in our shop. Carey and the boys nailed the tone and response!

7. Naxn

Naxn

I don't have enough knowledge to piece together the info on the Nordstrand site unfortunately. The more 'completed' diagrams are for preamp setups.

The nord/dingwall pickups are probably exactly what I'm looking for, I'll have to email them to see if I can get any more info, thanks!

I misunderstood at first and was super excited... I thought I read Sheldon was going to release a single scale bass...lol Guess the pickups will do.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

I can't say I agree here. My FD-3 equipped bass has a surplus of boom available on-tap. The longer string length and construction certainly makes for a more "open" sound with more prominant overtones maybe, and I think the pickups are designed to take advantage of that, but there's no lack of lows...IME anyway.

9. maturanesa

maturanesa

you should get pickups with neo magnets, like dingwalls pups...

10. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    M