1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pickups for Squier Active Jazz Deluxe 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jcburn, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jcburn

jcburn

Hi everyone - I'm looking at replacing the stock pickups in this bass. I have pulled the preamp out and running passive but I find the pickups sound a little poor. The tone is quite scooped and boomy.
    What I am after is something a little closer to the tone I get from my Dimarzio PJ set in my 4 string. Clear, meaty with defined mids.
    Now due to the routes I am limited in choice but my choices are Dimarzio Area J, Nordstrand NJ5 or NJ5S and Sadowsky singles or hum cancelling.
    My main prerequisites are ballsier, meatier tone and staggered pole pieces would be a nice touch.
    Let me know your thoughts and yes, the tone I am primarily looking for is pick style rock/hard rock/metal. I will want to keep the set up passive.
    Links to sound clips would be awesome too!
    Thanks everyone.
  2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I just did a recent rebuild on a squier deluxe 5. I basically used what I had around. I used an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with Sadowsky/bartolini pickups I had laying around. These were early barts designed for sadowsky. Tried to run it passive and it just didn't have enough volume. When hooked to the preamp it was awesome.

Of the ones you mentioned for what you are looking for, I would lean toward the Area J. I put in Sadowsky singles in my sadowsky and they still sound best with the preamp. I like the Nordstrand pickups alot, but for the price and sound, the area j's are great
  3. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

The new carvin single coils sound great and they fit the squier.
  4. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

The Seymour Duncan SJB5 set is a perfect fit in this bass as well. They sound great passive, as well. I wired mine with these pickups and a Bassmods Preamp with an active/passive switch and I like the sound of the bass in passive mode. I play all hard rock with it and the sound is just right.
  5. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

6. jcburn

jcburn

I thought about Barts but I read a lot of reviews that stated without a preamp the output was low so I will discount them.
    The Seymour Duncans sound interesting - how would you describe the tone in passive mode with the tone up full. How is the output? And while I think about it what value pots did you use?
    Again thanks folks - the Dimarzios may be the front runners at this stage but the SDs have me interested as I can get them both through the one dealer down here.
  7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Id go with the dimarzios for that.
  8. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I recall playing SD pickups in the old MIK Fender Jazz 24... I thought the sound was great... Especially for funk...

These weren't antiquities...