Pickups screws stripped and high action on jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by infinityplayer1, Jan 5, 2014.

1. infinityplayer1

infinityplayer1

Hi, some days ago I bought an used bass, it is a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass. When i got it I noticed it had high action but i thought I could lower it by lowering the saddles as I have done it before. But it looks like it doesnt work, it gets lowers near the end of the fretboard and buzzes but almost all starting from the nut is really high, I wanted to know if i had to lower the nut slots or maybe it is a truss rod thing.

Also looks like the screws on the pickups are stripped, like really stripped and the neck pickup is very low like flat with the pickguard and i cant raise cause of the screws, I wanted to know if you have had this problem and how you solved it or if you have any idea how to raise it.

Thanks.

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Get new screws. Wind the stripped one out with needle nose pliers. Put some foam weatherstrip underneath the pickups so they'll come up and not be too sloppy.

3. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Sounds like a truss rod tweak is in order to get the strings down without the buzz.

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

I've used vice grip type pliers with great success in this situation. I have a pair that are smaller (like needle nose pliers) and they lock onto the screw head. Then, you can get those screws out more quickly and put new ones in. Someone used the wrong size screwdriver on those I'm betting. That's a good way to strip them. Also, I agree that your truss rod needs to be adjusted in order for the action to be set correctly.

5. Register to disable this ad