Pickups won't pickup A string.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Dec 10, 2013.

1. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo Supporting Member

I've recently changed the pots and pickups on my jazz bass. Today, i noticed neither the neck nor bridge pickups will play the A string very well. It comes through the amp, but it is hardly audible. All the other strings come through well and at about the same volume. Could the pickups be damaged or installed incorrectly or anything of the sort? It was working fine yesterday. What should i do or try out?
  2. kasbrey

kasbrey

If both pickups exhibit the same fault the more likely explanation is that the string got twisted if you removed them to fit the pickups. Try slackening the string and let the ball end find its natural position and re-tighten.
    Or.....By hardly audible do you mean in a band situation mostly? I find cutting the bottom end on a jazz helps if the strings sound uneven. Maybe boost the low mids too.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Yah, probably a dead string.
  4. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

It could be the resonance of coils interacting with the tone control. Did you change the cap from the stock value? If you have an rlc meter, or know the inductance of the pickups, use this equation to find the resonant frequency (my knowledge is a little rusty about LC circuits, so help me out here): 1/(6.28*(L*C)^2)=F . L is in Henries, C in Farads, and F in hertz. If F=~110 then I think that might be PART of the issue, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
  5. newyorkiddo

i changed the strings, but the A string was still picking up lower than all the other strings.
    My pot values are all 250k, and my pickups are Bartolini 9CBJD L1/S1.
  6. midichlorine

midichlorine

maybe it got "demagnetized" somehow?

take a screwdriver, allen key or some sort of conductor and touch all of the mags.
    if the "a" mag is lots weaker than the others then thats what happened.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

is this a 5-string jazz?

those pickups are strictly for 4-string, because they're split-coils (like a P-bass), which means there's a nice gap right in the dead center of each pickup where there's nothing to get the sound of the string!
  8. newyorkiddo

they're installed into a four string jazz bass.