PICS-Ever See In-House PA Like This?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Leadfoot, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

Hi, I'm in your typical classic rock band with frequent gigs. We have our own PA and always use it. One of our regular venues is moving to a larger space down the street and the location was completely remodeled. We are playing both the Pre-Opening party for the owners friends next Thurs and and the Grand-Opening for the public Friday night.

(See pics below) Last night our singer sent photos of the new place. It is long and narrow. The bar is in the front and the stage/dance floor is in the back. Their sound system includes a built-in sub woofer, stage monitors, and multiple mains on the side wall facing the bar in front. I don't see any mains in the back by the stage.

We will be there Tues night to set up and attempt to dial in the sound. I don't know how we can play without blasting the people at the bar. Has anyone seen this type of set up before? Any hints you can provide in dealing this? I'd appreciate any input you all can provide. Thanks.

From the front door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stage
    [​IMG]

From the stage toward the front
    [​IMG]

Mains across from the bar
    [​IMG]

Built-in sub
    [​IMG]

2. bassteban

bassteban

Mains across from bar- where people go to talk/drink... (scratching head). I also see a lot of hard, reflective surfaces. If you end up getting a decent sound, PLEASE tell us what you did

3. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

That's a kit for ambient music , not a PA.

Each box has to be delayed with the stage to be usable as a PA, and I"m sure it's not. It can be OK if tuned/delayed and if the band is not loud.

I have done a lot of gigs (As a bass player) in those environment , tip:
    - Everybody uses inear , DI , no amps , keep the stage volume as low as possible.

Concrete , bricks , mirrors , wood (floor only) , if your stage is a bit loud , you WILL blast the customers.

Oh and the sub behind the band is a recipe for disaster
    You should insist on a Mike on your bass amp :)

4. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

If it's done right it may be fine. But long and narrow rooms are usually nightmares for sound guys. Add mirrors... Even worse. I think if it was setup well and you keep your back line under control you'd be alright. IMHO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. skwee

skwee

That's a pretty joint! First off, I thank you for your concern about the patrons. It seems to me that the mains are distributed nicely (you won't have to worry about throwing your sound through the whole place, and I think the trick will be to play at a low enough stage volume so that they can effectively balance the sound speaker to speaker.

The bar seems pretty far away from the stage, so I don't think you would have to turn up very loud at all. Just focus on a great sound, and let the p.a. do the work for you.

7. pedroims

pedroims

An electronic drum kit will help immensely.

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

That's going to be a hard room to make sound good - tip: keep the stage volume as low as possible and let the room carry the sound. And +1 to e-drums.

9. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

People on here know way more than sound than I do but the answer is never, EVER, edrums!

10. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep. Zone delays let you completely cut the speakers near the bar if needed as well. I might try to do that anyway if at all possible, if they are really even PA cabs in the first place.

11. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Supporting Member

As long as there are delays on the tops to the stage, no biggie. I would actually probably try to carry the room with bass amp/not in PA. Those looks like small QSC powered tops (10's maybe) based on the monitor angle cut into the back. As others have said...control stage volume as best you can. Less is probably more and get a good vocal blend in the tops first. Add only what is necessary to the PA and go from there. I actually think, depending on crowd size, it could work well. Don't expect much in the way of output from that one sub, reinforce the kick drum, don't try to kill with it.

Good luck! :)

12. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Didn't catch the QSC logo on the sub at first glance, hopefully you're right! ;)

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If the bar speakers have properly timed delays I would put a little vocals through them, but nothing else. I sure wouldn't leave my PA at home.

I don't know what sort of crowd you're expecting but naked kick drum should be fine, rather than attempting anything with the house system. The sign says piano bar. I wouldn't trust that little sub as far as I can throw it.

14. 10cc

10cc

This is what I was thinking. I've played and ran sound in set ups just like this on many occasions. Contradicting what others have posted the room looks great and should sound fine. Long rooms with higher ceilings always sound good especially with all those flat hard surfaces, add some people in there and you'll be amazed at how well the entire room can sound. Keep a good stage volume, put vocals and whatever else you see fit in the FOH and maybe put a little kick in that sub and take care of the bass yourself.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Oh the KSub is healthy enough for classic rock. It's not a dJ type thing for sure. For that they mke the K181.

16. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

thats the recipe for disaster right there...that would just make everything worse...lol

17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It looked smaller but you're right about K sub.

If there's enough cable to put it over against the wall you won't need it so loud to get the dancefloor pumped up, saving aggravation on stage and at bar.

18. jad

jad

I think I see 4 speakers mounted high on the wall opposite the bar, including one very near the stage, maybe over it. Those guys look like they're only there to play 'jukebox' music. It would be an exercise in futility trying to delay time them along with sub behind the band. I suggest bringing maybe one main and one sub from your PA and placing them on the wall opposite the little hallway which seems to lead to the restrooms. Can't block that hallway with speakers or lights! Having the Ksub behind you close to the drums seems likely to cause kick mic feedback. If you use it be prepared to gate the kick or at least apply some EQ to the low end of your FOH sound to deal with it. And yes, I'd mic the kick, not for quantity of sound but for quality, since you guys are playing classic rock.

You could try to use the house gear if you're feeling brave, but I recommend having enough gear (and time) to change plans if sound check doesn't go well. Oh, and I don't see any power outlets in that room where you might locate your board, so plan for that (Looks like somebody knows the building inspector pretty well!). I like how they have recessed outlets at the front of the stage for pedal boards and powered monitors/mains. I wonder if that big TV behind the stage has an SD card slot or usb port. It would be cool to show a .jpg of your band logo on there while you're playing!

It's a nice looking place. I hope you have a big fun crowd for both shows and many happy returns. Don't forget to come back and tell us how it went!

19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You don't see delay done well often but when you do it's real neat stuff, sounds like all the sound is coming from the front. I don't see why it couldn't be done there.

20. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Rock band? It's going to suck terribly in there.
    There, said it. Now it can't get worse.
    There was no intelligent thought put into a live band scenario.
    No acoustical treatments at all- it's going to be noisy as hell without a band.
    Tin ceiling. Brick, wood, plaster, glass.
    I can see them possibly wising up to some powered speakers on stands at the back, for the band sound- separate from the dj install. Whatever the band brings.
    Vocals and kick drum maybe?
    You will have to play very quietly without 100 bodies in there.
    It's gonna suck.
    Sorry.

21. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

That was a sarcastic joke.
    I thought by adding the smily……

(reference to those Mike vs DI thread )