Pics of Fender Cowpoke Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

I used to own this one. I sold it to a friend and he recently lent it back to me so I thought I'd snap a few photos. It's fun and very comfortable to play. While it was in my possession, I installed the Badass bridge. The bass has had at least 4 owners.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Very cool looking. I would love to try one as I have heard some good things about those basses.

3. GobBass

GobBass

come to think of it, i played a Cowpoke Special in my fav. music shop. It was a '94 and was going for €500.Although there was a stunning '72 Jazz (Black on black with a hint of maple) for €3000,i still liked this one.

4. James_B

James_B

I've played one of those before. I thought it was fake. Little do I know.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. circuitspore

circuitspore

love the looks of these models. did they all have jazz-width necks? and weren't some made in Mexico and some in US?

7. GobBass

GobBass

the one i played was made in mexico.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    They were made in Mexico. 22 fret Jazz profile neck on a compact Fender'ish body. The pre amp is Vol/Blend, Bass / Treble stacked. Pretty light weight because of the small body size (I would guess) Mine weight in at just over 8 lbs.

Nice playing basses and pretty good sounding stock. Definately a step up over the typical MIM bass. These basses make great mod platforms. The one below has upgraded pickups, an Audere pre wired Vol/Vol/Z-mode/Active-Passive* no tone controls except for z-mode. My luthier also rolled the neck edges and dressed the frets to match.

It's a stealth but killer bass at this point.

*Active Passive. My wiring sends the pickups straight to the jack in Passive moce. I had Dave wire it up that was the the emergency dead battery switch. Oddly enough, there is a slight volume drop in the Passive more from both pickups ip full, in Active mode. No pop from the setup though. So it's actually a usable 'nother sound - not just an emergency switch as designed.

[​IMG]

9. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

I was thinking of putting a badass bridge on mine :p And thats the only thing I think I will do with it as far as modding. (and its original bridge would get cleaned, put in a baggie and kept in the case)

And mine will look as clean as the one looks in that pic once I get done, cleaning and polishing it. ^_^

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    well mine has taken a different road for sure. The Audere pre came out and it now graces my L2500. The stock pickups came out. The Cowpoke is now sporting Aero Type 1's. The bass is now Passive with a Vol/Tone stacked for each pickup - same as the 62 RI J Bass. Copper foil shielding throughout. Orange drop's for the caps. The two switches I added are finally about to be wired up as 'dark switches'.

One thing I wouldn't do is the BA bridge. These basses are already pretty agressive with the stock preamp. I would think a BA might make them too bright... If you really want to upgrade - I would suggest starting with the tuners, then the pickups, then the pre ... mine still plays like a dream. Super easy playing bass, very, very light and with TI flat's - it has a pretty big voice.

11. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Thanks 4Mal for the suggestions. ^_^ I really don't want to mess with the pups or any of the wiring on it though, just leave it 'factory' in that sense. Changing the tuners is an idea I had not thought of though, mmmm. Once I get to know it I will decide on the BA bridge. I do tend to like a bright sounding bass (hey everyone is different you know :p) but if its already bright enough I won't go for overkill with the bridge swap from what you say.

12. Demonator

Demonator

Disclosures:
    Dean Street Team
  13. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Update: I played the bass recently at my friend's house and the finish on the back of the neck had all these cracks. Weird. :confused: He says he never plays it. His basement, where the bass is kept, is a bit cool but nothing extreme.

14. stephenq

stephenq

thats to bad, there great basses, get it back and give it some tlc!!

15. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

16. grifff

grifff

17. Surprise Panda!

Surprise Panda!

I played one at the Hollywood guitar center (don't hate :p ) and it was my favorite bass I played there (Next to the Big Al).

I'm a sucker for sunburst, nice catch Viking!

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

:meh: That Cowpoke looks familiar.....
    Oh look! Found it.

19. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

is that the same picture used in this thread?
    (im on my cell phone, but it looked like the same pic)

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

21. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

...Caught my eye b/c I bid on what looked like the exact same bass, on ebay, about a week ago: went for 345 + shipping. Either we have some hella coincidences here, or someone's just trying to make a quick buck.

For 500 he's probably going to have it for awhile, IMO...