1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pics of your heavy modded bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommygunn, May 7, 2009.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

I don't have one yet but I am lookin' for ideas... the racing stripes are already lookin good tho those are small mods.

Heavy mods include

New paint jobs
    Custom fitted pups ect ect

so fire away with the pics
  2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

[​IMG]

It started as a Fender Jazz Bass Special. When it left the Fuji Gen Gaki factory in 1987, it had a candy apple red body, fretless rosewood fingerboard, a toggle switch, two volume controls, and a TBX. Shortly after I got in December 1987 I put a Hipshot Bass Xtender key on it, changed the PUPs to Duncan Quarter Pounders and replaced the bridge with a Schaller roller bridge. Later I put a Duncan pre-amp in it. When the Steve Bailey Fundemental Fretless system came out from Duncan, they sold me the PC board for that alone as it's a direct replacement for the other pre, so I put that in
    there. Then after about 7 years I had a buddy replace the rosewood fingerboard with a thick chunk of ebony. Then about two years after that I had him build me a limba body. It's a variation of mahogany.

The only things left that left the Fuji factory are the maple timber of the neck, three tuning machines, the truss rod, the headstock face, and maybe the neck plate. I know I even replace the neck screws.

Here's another shot of her with the rest of my Fender family...

[​IMG]

jte
  3. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

My modded SX Jazz 5-string with a different SX Maple block neck with the thick stock SX poly fully removed from neck/headstock. It has an Audere Jazz Deluxe 3-band pre, chrome Hipshot Ultralites, chrome Hipshot string tree, chrome Dunlop flush mount strap locks, chrome Schaller roller bridge, custom cut White pearloid pickguard, GraphTech Trem Nut, and a flush-mount battery box for the Audere's battery. I kept the stock SX pups simply because I like the stock SX pups! ;)

All the cavities and underside of the pickgaurd were fully shielded with shielding tape. I finished it off with DR High Beams.

Click on the pics to see the full-size ones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

5. LCW

LCW

i dont play 5 string but that SX is sweet the flush mounted dunlops did it for me
  6. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Modified basses ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

Oooh. I really like black rics, I just found out.
  9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    This is my heavily modded 2001 Gibson Thunderbird. Baddass I bridge, chrome Schaller tuners, Dimarzio Model G in the neck position, Seymour Duncan 60's repro pup in a '76 cover by the bridge, and a deepened cutaway to get to the upper register [​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Ohh nice EVH bass and I didn't know Rics could have a maple fingerboard
  11. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

12. ryco

ryco

'75 P modded in '80
    Eat your heart out Stu!! :smug:

[​IMG]

SD QuarterPounders, stack tone/vol knobs, BA II bridge, brass nut, Volvo kill switch.

We're both semi-retired :D
  13. 66pbass

66pbass Supporting Member

The Gibson sidewinder at the neck opened a winding and I have since replaced it with a DiMarzio Model 1 DP120 (too lazy to unwind the Gibson.)
    This sounded amazing run in stereo through my Ampeg V4-B, 1 pup into each of the two channels.
    Been rewired too many times to count.The thing was stained the ugliest shade of brown I ever saw, even the pick guard, so I sanded it down, painted the black trim, and put 6 coats of polyurethane on it when I was home sick with mono as a junior in highschool. Didn't touch the neck.
    It was called the Spaghetti bass in the shop where I bought it in Pittsburgh because the 14th fret was missing and a piece of spaghetti was taped in its place. I had a guitar builder friend who installed a fret for me, and installed the humbucker and made the black control knob piece.
    He also installed a Tele bridge pup where the black space is near the bridge, but I removed it years later when I realized that the 3 pups magnetic fields were dampening the strings a bunch!

Spaghetti Bass:
    [​IMG]

Back of bass:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

My double-pickup SX P-bass:

[​IMG]
  15. 66pbass

66pbass Supporting Member

Front and Back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

[​IMG]

What is stock? Body, tuning machines, control plate, neck plate.

What is extra? Bill Lawerence pickups, P Maple Neck, Kahler Trem, electronics(series/parallel push/pull), Control Knobs, Bridge pickup Ring, Pickguard, Mirror Thumbrest, Rolling String Tree.
  17. LCW

LCW

that 66 remends me of billy sheeans kinda
  18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

Forgot these,
    [​IMG]
    Added fifth string, Kahler trem, X2N-7, Pickguard, Vol/Vol with push pull for single coil on the X2N.

[​IMG]
    Added, fretless neck, Mirror Pickguard(made by me), JJ humbucker(made by me from two J pickups).

[​IMG]
    Modded for P pickup and home made pickguard.
  19. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Hehe "the wife" hehe

The dubble pup'ed pbass is the shiz!!! Ryco I've seen you from the fender fourms... Do you have stacked '62 jazz knobs in there? And Darkstrike the squire is cool, very much like harris' red one... minus the humbucker! Ha lol

Keep em coming I've got one on the way!!!
  20. Kevin_BlueBASS

Kevin_BlueBASS

Forgive my ignorance but what's that last white bass?
    It's on the tip of my tongue! lol