Picture of my "new" Peavey Foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harlon, Mar 18, 2014.

1. harlon

harlon

Just picked up this 89 Foundation today. Really happy with it. Plugged it in and just loved the tone. Killer growl with a ton of sweet overtones. I've already recorded it and I'm really happy with the way it cut through a heavy mix, with very little editing. It does need a little TLC, though. The action is a bit high and the pots crackle just a bit. The body is in great shape. Just a few scratches and dings - which I'm not too concerned with anyhow. Any suggestions on upgrades? I'm thinking replace pots and wiring? I'm hoping other Foundation owners might offer some advice. Thanks.

[​IMG]
  2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Nice bass. The pots probably just need a bit of cleaning. Get some electrical contact cleaner, spray some into the offending pots and turn the knob several time. More than likely that will clear up the problem. Sounds like it could use a decent setup too. There are plenty of references around, including on this site, on how to do one.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Beautiful Foundation, congrats!

Just spray some Deoxit into the pots and work them back and forth a bit. Spray some on a q-tip and clean the jack surfaces and you'll probably be good to go.
  4. harlon

harlon

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I think these pots are slightly bent. When I turn the knobs they wobble a bit. Is that normal? All 3 do this.
  5. TinIndian

TinIndian

That looks more like an 86 or older with the trapezoidal bridge. Are you sure of the year? Nice bass
  6. harlon

harlon

The serial starts with 039, so it appears it is indeed an 89. Or at least the neck is. Unless I looked at the wrong serial number database.

And thanks! I think I finally got a good studio bass. Been striking out lately!
  7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Probably just need to tighten the retaining nuts. You might have to remove the knobs to get to them.
  8. tgriley62

tgriley62

I have to agree with you. It is an excellent bass if I do say so myself. Congratulations

[​IMG]
  9. harlon

harlon

Nice!!!! Had yours very long? Any issues I should be aware of?

10. tgriley62

tgriley62

I have had it for about 18 months. The jack is a little loose but that is the only problem I have had. I switched strings from round's to flats and to me it is amazing the tones you can get from it. As you can see I have a fondness for Peavey products

[​IMG]
  11. harlon

harlon

Sweet! That Patriot looks great. I almost had a 94 Fury bought today, as well. But the guy selling it decided he liked it too much to sell it! But I may be looking to pick one up in the near future. My first electric guitar was a Peavey Patriot. Red and black just like your bass. I wish so freakin much I'd have kept it. But I sold it years ago.
  12. tgriley62

tgriley62

Thanks. Once I pick up another 2x10 to complete my set up I hope to pickup a Fury then I would like to add a T-40 later
  13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Nice bass, 'grats.

The cool thing about Foundations is that there aren't really any upgrades that you can do to it. I guess you could throw a preamp in it, not sure that would be an "upgrade" tho.

If you rewire it like a standard jazz bass, you'll defeat the Peavey Tone Compensation circuit (that's what all the little caps are for), that works to maintain hi freqs when volume is rolled down. It works pretty good.

I rewired one in standard jazz config once. It still sounded good, but seemed to lose a little sizzle in the process.
  14. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Nice looking bass - congrats!

I wouldn't mod it - just leave it stock, and use some DeoxIT on the pots.
    The stuff works great.