1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Piezo- and preamp alternative

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dasto, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dasto

dasto Supporting Member

Hi guys
    I think this would be interesting for you too. That's why I post this thread also on the pickups & electronics forum.
    Since some time I was looking for an alternative electronics to put in my trb6p without loosing the piezo pup's. Finally I got in contact with a german engineer named Andreas Richter, who is providing preamp electronics amongst others to BassLab. After some discussions with him, I was ready to try his preamps (BassXX, and Piezo preamp, you'll find his products here
    Richter-ee.de) and to put them in my tr6p. They came prewired and almost ready to use, I had just to connect the magnetic and piezo pup's and the output jack. The configuration I've chosen was volume, balance magnetic pup's, mixer magentic pups with piezo, stacked bass/treble, and stacked parametric mids and mid boost/cut. As you can see on the pictures it's possible either to adjust the gain of each piezo pup or/and the gain of the piezo preamp and there's a trimpot on the pup's mixer to mix the two signals adeqately. I have to admit, that I was very surprised by this new electronics where it's even possible to play with the piezo pup's allone and getting a nice sounding tone out of it, not to compare with the stock electronics.
    This pictures will give you an idea (blame me for the cable salad...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Interesting, definitely!
    But how much of that stuff- pots w/pc boards, etc was there previously, and just what is "his preamp"?
    A bit of that I'm not familiar with, but certainly interested in what you've posted- will check out his site.
    Thanks for the heads-up on this.

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Just checked his site- that's impressive.

4. dasto

dasto Supporting Member

Everything you see came from Andreas Richter. It was prewired, even the output jack. The original preamp looked like that:

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stanknuckle

stanknuckle

Was the preamp/piezo change over a dramatic difference? and did you need to change the pickups?:hyper:

7. I too, use the ETS Germany bass piezo bridge along with the Richter preamp:

[​IMG]

it's this bass:

[​IMG]

I am very used to the Richard McLish RMC systems and I like this one sonically about the same. From what I can tell there is no big dramatic difference.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

8. dasto

dasto Supporting Member

Since there was already a piezo-system installed I can only compare it to the original system. And definitely yes it was a great improvement compared to the yammy electronics. You get an additional mid frequency pot with parametric center frequency regulation which allows you to dial a various types of sounds. Further more it's also possible to use the piezo-system alone and to get a nice sound out of it. This was unthinkable with the stock electronic which was sounding way to harsh and clanky being played alone.
    And no, there was no need to change the pickups.
    Sorry for the short response but I am for the time being on vacation on a small island in the middle of the ocean ;-)