Piezo for a Jazz fretless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Jan 30, 2014.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

I recently got my first fretless Jazz, I'm loving it but I would love to be able to get more of the horn like qualities like some of the other basses equipped with pezio (Rob Allen, Alain Caron Fbass). Can these tones be achieved by simply adding a pezio bridge on my Jazz? If so, what bridge would bring me closer to this.
    Thanks in advance
  2. MR PC

MR PC

Yes. You'll have to try it to see if it's your bag. There is an ebay instrument/luthier parts dealer out of Canada selling 4 string piezo bridges for electric basses, at a good price. You'll prolly need a preamp with a least a 1 meg input impedance for any piezo system you install. Blending it with the magnetic pickups is a science of sorts as well.
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

For the most straightforward solution I can recommend, contact Hipshot & GraphTech. Hipshot offers multiple bridges with the GraphTech piezoelectric element built right it, so you need only add the GraphTech Ghost system to it.

I have such a system in my Carvin Bromberg fretless five-string, and I love it.

MM
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Not the piezo-equpped bridge alone. You need an entire piezoelectric system - including buffer, preamp, controls, etc. See my post immediately above.

MM
  5. 6stringvince

Sounds like it might just be easier to buy a PIezo equipped bass?
  6. 6stringvince

I found the seller, have you tried those bridges? Just wondering about quality...
    Thanks
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I installed the graphtech/ Hipshot system on my Barker and it just rocks! I used their acoustiphonic pre and use it to combine the split P mag pickup with the piezo. No way I was cutting new holes in it so I'm wired up Vol/ Vol. it far exceeded my expectations. Highly recommended and it was a pretty simple installation.

The one tricky part is that you'll nee a long hanson bit to drill a decent sized hole from under the bridge plate to the cavity. You have 4 new wires to run theough that hole to support the 4 independant bridge piece pickups. A bit is cheap though...
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Or just snag a used Godin A4 LR Baggs model... That bass is most of the way to a Rob Allen and used they don't pull all that much dough. I have a pair of them. Fretted and fretless. Mine are the Acoustibass model from before the "A" series. They get more gig time than any of my solid bodies, or my Barker or Rumblefish for that matter. Love 'em! Piezos rock for fretless...