1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

piezo pickup for fender precision jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shushi_boi, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

Hello :smug:

I've been working on a project here for a while now and I wanted to add a pickup to my pj bass that would allow my bass to be able to switch from a jazz pickup tone to a pickup that would give it a vintage double bass tone.

This was sort of the tone I'm looking for;

I'm well aware that piezo design acustic or 'realist' like pickup, similar to actual double basses where pickup would hook up to the bridge.

But from all of the double bass pickups, like David Gage Realist, Schertler Dyn-B, Fishman Full Circle, Revolution Solo II, Bassmax, Shadow pickup (underwood style), Shure Beta, FWF, etc. Are there any pickups that I can install from any of these or other to my bridge area that will hopefully give my p/j electric bass an authentic double bass sound or is there a piezo pickup that already does this that goes to the bridge?

Thank you all for reading my post, if anyone needs more details, I'll be glad to share (such as my bass is fretless w/ ebony fretboard).

Cheers!

2. MPU

MPU

3. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

How cool, I dreamt last night about building a parts fretless p-bass with an ebony fingerboard and piezo pups.

4. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Sorry, but you are never going to get an EUB tone from a P bass regardless of what pickups you fit. Its a totally different instrument, if you want an EUB sound, then buy and learn an EUB

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

Not necessarily true ! :cool:

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That sounds like a P bass with flats if you want a EUB sound get a EUB even Martin acoustic can't get that sound.

8. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

An EUB sounds like an EUB because it's tone is a consequence of it's design, materials and construction. A P bass sounds like it does because of it's design, materials and construction.
    Here's a few starters for you, an EUB generally has a longer scale length and a much higher action. The strings are generally thicker and a bigger guage, the fingerboard has a different construction and a much bigger radius....it can be played with a bow, it's bridge is made spruce or maple and resonates very different. An EUB is designed to resonate a lot more than a bass becuase it is mimicking an acoustic double bass.
    A P bass is a great instrument, but adding piezos will just add a tweek to the existing P bass sound. Piezos loaded into a metal bridge will take on the charector of that which it's attached to.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Do a search some Carvin's and Music man's have the optional piezo at the bridge. I didn't mean to sound snarky but I have been chasing that EUB tone for years with no luck my line 6 Variax bass has a piezo pickup and the EUB setting sounds good but it just can't get that correct EUB sound.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

To the OP: you clearly posted in the DB forums on purpose. However, if you want me to move this thread to the BG side (where folks are more likely to feel that a DB sound can be imitated convincingly by a BG), please let me know.

11. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

@Chris Fitzgerald

That would be nice Chris :D I did so purposefully to get the feel from different bass players, (= different inputs and methods) and in total to reach the different opinions on this matter, I'm quite new to this site and still figuring out the ways to navigate here. I really appreciate your concern and support as well :)

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Just to be clear, you'd like it moved to the Bass Guitar Amps & Pickups forum?

13. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

You can improve the sound of an EB to make it closer to a DB with one mod. Pickups don't matter.

Get a new neck that will give you a total scale length of 41.5".

Should do the trick. ;)

BTW: The first youtube link by Tribe sounds the way it does because of one particular detail. The bassist on that track is Ron Carter probably playing his Juzek. Either that or it's a sample from a DB. That's definitely not an EB.

If it were possible to get that big deep sound from an EB, it would have been done long ago. From the first Fender, jazz players have tried to do it and nobody has ever been successful. It might come close but it's never the same. EBs sustain TOO much and the sound doesn't breathe like a big box of the DB does. It's the same problem that the EUBs suffer from, even if the scale length is the correct.

So far, the general consensus seems to be if that if you want something that mocks the sound of a DB well, get a Kala U-Bass.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNPx6RS8PiM
    It comes really close but it doesn't have that big deep ringing fundamental like you hear in that Tribe track.

14. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

@Chris Fitzgerald yes, that would be fine with me :)

@hdiddy thanks you! and that other post was intended to be a other post, but I was a the wrong page :p But both posts are very informative and I believe now to have some leads and direction to go with now (where other have failed and what worked with other) :p

15. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

Hey Chris and hdiddy,

you guys are real old timers and all, but I was hoping if you guys could check out the progress that I've made which I believe will change your guy's mind about my whole project ;)

I really owe it all to you hdiddy, you've made me figure out the most single important factor!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111608713@N02/with/12314628665/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/pj-electric-double-bass-hybrid-project-1051857/#post15477480

:smug:

[and I apologize for posting on a old link...]