piezo pickup for jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shushi_boi, Jan 27, 2014.

1. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

Hello everyone :smug:

I've been working on a project here for a while now and I wanted to add a pickup to my pj bass that would allow my bass to be able to switch from a jazz pickup tone to a pickup that would give it a vintage double bass tone.

This was sort of the tone I'm looking for;

I'm well aware that piezo design acustic or 'realist' like pickup, similar to actual double basses where pickup would hook up to the bridge.

But from all of the double bass pickups, like David Gage Realist, Schertler Dyn-B, Fishman Full Circle, Revolution Solo II, Bassmax, Shadow pickup (underwood style), Shure Beta, FWF, etc. Are there any pickups that I can install from any of these or other to my bridge area that will hopefully give my p/j electric bass an authentic double bass sound or is there a piezo pickup that already does this that goes to the neck?

Thank you all for reading my post, if anyone needs more details, I'll be glad to share (such as my bass is fretless w/ ebony fretboard).

Cheers!
  2. line6man

line6man

Most people just buy bridges with piezo elements and drill wire channels to the control cavity. Adding piezo elements to an existing bridge is usually difficult, as you need to find saddles compatible with the bridge, and make irreversible modification to the base plate, to get the wires through. There is no way to avoid having to drill to the control cavity, however.

Piezo elements would never be placed in the neck. You won't get any definition that way, since you would be relying on body resonance, rather than string vibration.
  3. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

My bad !!! :D

thanks line6man for correcting me, I actually ment the opposite, the bridge ! :p I apoligize

and drilling the bridges isn't a problem for me, I'm a modifier ! If piezo is the way for me to go, do they have a specific model where they can make a fretless jazz bass (w/ebony board) sound like a vintage double bass?
  4. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

Hey Grissle, is there any sound samples on how this piezo would sound like on a P/J bass, because I'm looking for a pickup @ the bridge area where it can produce realist acoustic vintage double bass sound such as those video samples I provided.
  7. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Unfortunately at the present time there is no technology available that will produce true Upright tone. However with the right bass, strings and Piezo setup you most certainly can get in electric Upright territory. I believe someone will eventually produce the Modeling tech needed to to get us even closer. But it hasn't happened yet. Of course you could learn to play an Upright.