1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Piezo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgod76, Jan 11, 2014.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I saw this posted and it's owner said the bass has a piezo pickup. In not familiar with piezos. Is the pickup in the bridge? If so, where's the input jack?
    [​IMG]

2. line6man

line6man

The bridge looks crooked.

I see piezo elements in the saddles, but no wires or wire channels anywhere.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Piezos don't require an input jack.

An output jack is advisable though.

4. bassgod76

I thought the bridge looked askew

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

The piezo pup is in the bridge. I would imagine that the jack is hidden behind the bridge.

7. line6man

line6man

There isn't much room behind the bridge to get a jack, a battery and a buffer, so if there is a jack, the bass is passive, and that's NFG. Because of their output impedance, piezos need buffering, unless you want a lot of losses from capacitive instrument cable and low impedance amp inputs. So I would stay away, if this is for sale.

And of course, the crooked bridge thing. :hyper:

8. bassgod76

9. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

I can't speak to the bridge, but so far as piezoelectric go, I have several on six-string guitars and one on an acoustic bass. So far, no impedance problems and all play through acoustic amps and the bass plays through my Eden just fine. Granted, it sounds like an acoustic bass; it is an acoustic bass.

10. line6man

line6man

Looks like there is something behind the bridge. A large black cavity of some sort.

Are those '80s colored Sperzels?

11. bassgod76

No, I think they are just cheap Pings, painted red

12. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Do any of the guitars or your bass have a volume and/or tone sliders? If so, it most likely has an impedance buffering preamp, hence why they sound good.

To the op, the only place the jack would be is right behind the bridge. If thats the case, you'd probably need to get a preamp (or an FDeck HPF, which everyone should have anyway) in order to get the signal hot enough for amplifier.

As for the crooked bridge, that would explain the odd string spacing from the edges of the neck, as seen in the second picture.

13. line6man

line6man

Though piezo elements in general have a low output, that's not the reason for buffering. The issue is that the have a very high output impedance, which tends to cause two issues. Firstly, instrument cable is capacitive, and that capacitance has a significant effect on the frequency response of the signal. Second, piezos want to see an input impedance a lot higher than most amps/effects/etc. are spec'd for. The relatively low input impedance of most gear loads the piezo elements.

14. bassgod76

Yeah, I'm dying to find out what he paid to have this bass made.