1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pignose BV100V?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 2milehighspike, May 11, 2013.

1. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Greetings all, I did a search to get some info on this amp and found nothing. I found one for sale for a decent price, anybody out there have any info? Thanx all!!
  2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Its an un-authorized clone of an Ampeg B15 with twice the juice...in an ugly naugahide tolex box.
    If i were handy id buy one and build a sexier headcase for it, something silverface bassman-like.
  3. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Thanks for the info, thats what the guy selling it tells me, i'm going to check it out.
  4. b-b-b-bass

b-b-b-bass

Search for B100V*.
    I bought a B100VH (Bass 100W Valve Head), and a G60VHR (Guitar 60W Valve Head Reverb) back in the early 2000s when Pignose was making them. They were some of the first Chinese-manufactured tube amps that I can remember seeing.

They were designed by Dennis Kager (ex-Ampeg). Both amp heads are terrific designs, and continue to serve me well. Both are 'rare as hen teeth'. They are relatively light weight, probably less than 30 pounds. The stock Chinese tubes failed early, but once replaced with European tubes have performed flawlessly.

The B100VH (I think they also made a 15" combo model, the B100V, but I can't imagine that speaker setup is optimal) runs 4-6L6GC and 2-12AX7, so it is more like an Ampeg V4B than a B15. It is voiced more like a SVT as it seems to roll of the low end, focusing more on the second harmonics as opposed to the fundamental frequency. My Ampeg PF-350 goes much lower using the same cab and a relative volume setting. But I prefer the warm tube tone of the B100VH over the PF-350, and find I use the Pignose more. I play in a blues/rock band at bars/small clubs, and the B100V through an efficient 1x15 or 1x12 is more than enough. For me adding a second cab is overkill, except for an outdoor gig.

In summary, the B100V*, with good tubes, is a worthy low-cost workhorse that sounds great with the right speaker(s). It may look a little cheesy, but music is primarily about audio, and secondarily about the visual.
  5. RC52

RC52

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1368319921.832701.jpg

Love mine!

Got a B100V . I pulled the head out, and my friend built the cab for it.
  6. b-b-b-bass

b-b-b-bass

Nice rig RC52! Do you always run with both cabs?
  7. RC52

RC52

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1372122331.981512.jpg

Sorry for taking so long to respond back, I missed your post.

I also use Pighead with one 15" cab , and with Avatar 2-12" cab. Sounds great with all three configurations !
  8. wallerdub

wallerdub

Pignose B100V head-
    i just purchased one of these used for $380, it has been recently cleaned, has all brand new power tubes, and several new resistors. in great condition, and i absolutely love the tone, coming from an Ampeg B2-re. I currently run it through an Ampeg 410hlf, and also have an old Ampeg 210he. I will be replacing the speakers in the 210 and am also thinking about purchasing another Ampeg SVT 15-E to match with the 210, to have a few different speaker options, two 8 ohm options, and two 4 ohm options.

Here are my questions pertaining to this head:

1. As far as preamp tubes go: if i ran one 12au7 and a 12ax7 together instead of two 12ax7, will it harm the B100V in any way?

2. For the Ampeg 210he, would it be harmful to have 2 high wattage 4 ohm speakers to replace the OEM parts, to gain more protection against the 100 tube watts/ cleaner tone, while keeping it an 8 ohm cab? and what speakers would you suggest? or am i completely off because of internal volume of said cabinet?

3. What would be your preferred cabinet(s) setup to match this amplifier, or another 100watt tube bass amp?

4. Does anyone have an Ampeg 15-E they wan't to get rid of? ;)

Thanks for looking and im excited to hear what you all have to say. thanks in advance!!

My Rig:
    Warwick Corvette $$ swamp ash
    Custom Electric Upright Bass (its a sit down, stand up bass, like a cello)
    Pignose B100V
    Ampeg B2-Re
    Ampeg 410hlf, 210he
    Ampeg B100R combo/ Bellari mp105 (with a NOS Mullard!!)
    aaand a
    BOSS TU-3 (of course)

The Foundation of Your Pocket.
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I had one, these heads are great. And a loud 100 watts.

If the price is $400.00. or under grab it.
    There a real sleeper for a tube 100 watt head.
  10. wallerdub

wallerdub

Any body know about the specific two seperate fuses that are wired inside the pignose b100v? The one accessible from the back was not blown but wired just after on the inside, is another fuse which has blown in my pignose. Trying to figure out what specific fuses I will need to get for replacements.... Anybody have any knowledge about this? Thanks.

TL;DR: what are the two fuses needed in a pignose b100v?

Thanks!
  11. b-b-b-bass

b-b-b-bass

The internal fuse (6A fast blow) is wired in series with the externally accessable fuse (4A fast blow), and the power switch, on one leg of the power transformer's primary side.

The fuses are the small 5mm x 20mm metric sized ones, IIRC . Radio Shack might have them. Take the dead ones with you. Buy extras.

The fuses will blow when you have a power tube failure. Check your power tubes for telltale 'signs'. The original Electron Tubes are a weak point. Any weird smells (from the amp ;-) ? You didn't forget to plug into a cab, eh?

The B100V has pretty robust transformers. Good luck. Make sure your amp is unplugged when changing your fuses and tubes. Do not handle your power tubes by the glass.... only by the base. Be safe.
  12. wallerdub

wallerdub

Thanks! I had It looked at by a tube guru, he tested all the tubes- they were perfectly fine.
    Definitely had it plugged in to a cab.
    Where the 4 amp fuse on the back goes, I apparently it had a 5 amp instead. The inner tube was a 6 amp tube - it had blown. Per his knowledge, he says that a 5 amp fuse paired with a 6 amp fuse makes no sense - 10 amps of total fuse.
    Why? I'm not totally sure.

My final fix ended up being a 4amp, 250volt fast blow in the back, and a 2amp, 250volt fast blow on the inside. Plenty of extra fuses purchased as well.

Is 2 amps ok for the inner tube?

The amp sounds good as new! And even feels like a slight bit more inherent gain, even though I could be fooling myself.

Next step is to find a different cabinet solution, as my ampeg 410hlf begins to fart out easily at roughly 48% gain ( no volume knob ). Do I purchase new speakers, or a whole new cabinet that can handle more power?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated, I play a warwick corvette double buck set as an active jazz bass 95% of the time with no boost in eq.
    Funk, fusion, jazz, and slap are my main styles.

Thanks again !!!!

TL;DR 2 amp 250volt fuse in the inside and a 4 amp 250 volt fuse on the back fixed the issue.
  13. b-b-b-bass

b-b-b-bass

The higher ampere-rated fuse should go on the inside of the chassis, and the lower rated fuse goes into the external holder. Why?? Because the same current will flow through both fuses since they are in series, and when that current exceeds the value of the lowest rated fuse, then that fuse should blow first. If the lower rated fuse is inside, then you will always have to pull the chassis to replace it. If you put the lower rated fuse into the external holder, then it is easy to replace, and the inner higher rated fuse should generally still be fine.
  14. wallerdub

wallerdub

After looking closely at it, it seems that the fuses are inline with eachother, but may not be, ill have to take one of the smaller pcb boards off the chassis to be 100% certain. As for now I've just put it back together and if the 2 amp on the inside blows quickly, then ill try to switch them out next time.

Next step, email pignose and see what they say!
  15. wallerdub

wallerdub

Alright b-b-b-Bass. You're totally on it.

You said the 2 fuses were wired in series. Correct.
    You said the inside one would blow more often if it was a lower rated amperage. Right again!

I've been using the 4 amp outside and a 2 amp inside. It works fine but blows the inside one quickly. 3 in the last month, albiet playing at least 2 gigs and at least 1 practice every week.

I'm going to go with your suggestion of the 6 amp fuse, although the standard is 6.3 now, says the owner at the electronics store.
    they apparently don't make straight 6amp anymore.

so here goes nothing, 6.3 amp internal fuse and 4 amp external fuse this time.

Thanks!
  16. b-b-b-bass

b-b-b-bass

Cool, Walterdub.

Are you using both your 410HLF and 210HE with the B100VH? In other words, "Wat R U usin' wen da fuze bloz, mon?":D

Me, I'm using a home built 1x12 (Eminence Beta in a ported 4 cu.ft cab), and I have two of the power tubes pulled on the head, so Im running the 8-ohm cab off the 4-ohm tap on the amp. So, 50 watts output, and it dominates any bar/tavern/small club I play.

How do you like the B100V overall?
  17. wallerdub

wallerdub

I was running only the 410hlf when the fuse blew a few times, but one other time it was because I tried a different cab with shotty inputs :/ .

It's great with either cab but I haven't tried matching them yet. Probably won't in all honesty, no use for 610 besides looks.

I absolutely love my b100v, and am searching for my next cab set up.

2x12?
    2 vertically stacked 2x10s?
    2 seperate 2x12s?
    2x10 + 1x15?

I would love another SVT-210he, but they're hard to come by these days.

I've been leaning towards the 2x10s recently, but am still undecided.

If I had the money I would buy 2 acme bass cabs. 1x12s or 2x10s

www.acmebass.com

Any other suggestions?

All in all I absolutely love this thing. It does fart out w/ the 410hlf at higher volumes but Set it all at noon besides the presence, at zero, 1 or 2 ish depending on song/ gig and it's golden.

Haven't found anything better for the price.
  18. wallerdub

wallerdub

Next question about the Pignose B100v! :help:
    Which tubes can i replace my current ones with to get the most juice out of this little guy?
    i currently have 4 6L6gb power tubes in it. Rated at 19-23 watts each, i believe im not getting the most out of this guy, and subsequently have problems over driving the tubes real easy at about 50% volume, when i only want a nice clean tube tone.

6l6gc? what brand would *you* go for when replacing power tubes in a bass head?

do preamp tubes play a big part in this?

Thanks again!!

TL;DR which power tubes would be best for this amp? how to get maximum headroom/power?