Pigtronix Bass Fat Drive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DiscoFreq, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq

I just found this, though I noticed a picture already leaked mid December:

[​IMG]
    Pigtronix Bass Fat Drive

(I found more, but I'll wait a few days with that ;-))
  2. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Supporting Member

Sweet!

Between this, the Zvex Basstortion, the EBS Billy Sheehan, and the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes, to name but a few, it's good times for dirt aficionados. :)
  3. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq

Yes, I'm a bit surprised there weren't more replies to this ;-)
  4. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Interesting. I suspect they tweaked their Fat Drive to make it even more bass friendly.
    I did a long post on the Fat Drive. That is a very good pedal even in its guitar version.
    If this new pedal improves upon this, they might have a hit.
    This company continues to impress me by the quality and the inovative character of their products. These guys are both tech and marketing savy.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

+100

I had a fat drive for a little while. Thought it sounded GREAT with passive basses. A little tweeking and they have a bass pedal. Glad they recognize this and I have HIGH hopes for this. I probably won't get it because my board is pretty much complete but I would highly recommend this to ANYONE. Very touch sensitive, very FAT!! ....and that's just going off of the guitar verison.
  7. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

I'm excited! I hope it sounds a little more natural than the guitar version when used on bass.
  8. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Anyone tried these out yet?
  9. Toptube

Toptube

are these available/shipping yet? The NAMM videos made me want one, but it seems NAMM was only the announcement/paper launch...
  10. 12SB

12SB

I tried one out today and instantly picked it up. Very cool pedal. I live on Long Island ( where Pigtronix is located ) and supposedly, the shop I got it from is the first to stock it, and I'm the first to grab one! Pretty cool. I was teaching till kinda late, so, I have only played it at the store and not on my rig at home yet. I will report back as soon as I do. For direct comparison, I have the HBE hematoma as well ( which gets pretty dirty, as far as I'm concerned ) . I'm stoked to crank it up. I'll be playing through a G&L jazz bass into an ampeg pf 350 and ampeg 15" cab
  11. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Supporting Member

Cool. Very interested in a comparison as I love my Hematoma. Keep us posted.
  12. 12SB

12SB

Ok, so I started a new job this week and have been short on playing time due to schedule craziness- BUT I got to spend some time with bass fat drive tonight...

First impressions are: warm and tube like drive, and zero bottom end loss. I am liking this pedal! Less fuzzy than the hemotoma (without the "more" switch kicked in) and it seems to preserve natural tone and bottom better. The tone control is cool- all the way up it doesn't affect the sound, but as you turn counter clockwise it rolls off the highs. So far I like it all the way up!

I have spent way more time noodling around without the "more" switch engaged, but if you flip it on, it gets pretty raunchy.

I am loving this pedal for a slightly broken up drive tone. I play into a solid state, and this gives it a nice warm old-school character. I definitely recommend checking it out!
  13. Ben Lesser

Ben Lesser

I have a Pigtronix Polysaturator and I can't say enough good stuff about the pedal. HUGE sound, small box. I mostly use it with my tenor guitar, but might have to pick one of these up for my bass.
  14. NightCat

NightCat

Is it as touch sensitive as they claim? I am looking for a pedal that will stay fairly clean until I really dig in.
  15. 12SB

12SB

It certainly seems to be. I haven't cranked my rig yet with it, but will be able to this weekend. I also have a few gigs in the next couple weeks, so I'll be able to give more feedback after those as well
  16. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

These have been delayed so long I lost interest. Can't see it replacing the B3K I bought instead :)
  17. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Previously masmasbasso Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Dean Markley, Pigtronix & Fishman
    I have one. It has more mids than the Disnortion that I also have on my board. It's great because the Disnortion can get a little muddy. The more switch does get really gnarly but I always keep it off. It seems to be pretty touch sensitive, but I keep the gain up on mine since I only use it every once in a while. It also doesn't add as much noise as the Disnortion but I mainly use that for the Fuzz section.
  18. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like a cool pedal.

While comparing with the Hematoma (which I own as well) there is an interesting exercise I have been doing.

I try to make 2 pedals sound like each other. If you just compare them it's easy to miss that 2 peals might be alike because their settings or control are different. If you set one up and fine tune the second one to sound like the first one it's very revealing. In my experience more pedals sound the same or the same for 90% of their range.
  19. Bob C

Bob C

Laurent,

That is a very good point, which applies to all gear to some degree. One amp's "5" may be another's "2". "Flat" is in the eyes of the beholder. And so on.

Two different stomp boxes may be equally fuzzy, but at different settings.
  20. 12SB

12SB

I always try and do a similar comparison. You are right, often times they differ in their range of tone, but most can be made to sound pretty similar. I found the biggest difference to be the low end, and the capability of the bass fat drive to achieve a good sounding, less fuzzy break-up. Each can be made to sound over the top and high gain
  21. connected2aj

connected2aj

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Godlyke, Hartke, & Hipshot
    Can't wait to check out this as well as the Bass Philosopher & the Bass Envelope Phaser. I should be getting them this week to mess with. Really excited!!!