1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pigtronix EP2 "farting out"...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by enjoi1018, Feb 6, 2013.

1. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Hey e'rybody! Cutting to the chase, I've got an EP2 that sounds absolutely killer except for the fact that when I really strike a note on the low B (up until around E-G), there will be some farting out. It just goes "ppppph" on top of those notes, and the lower I go the worse it gets. I don't know if this is a common issue or not with my EP2 (I've had one before and want to say I remember this, but can't recall for sure).

I play a Ibby SR505 (active) with all of the EQ set flat, the volume maxed, and the pickup faded about 65/35 towards the neck pickup. This is my tone through my combo I'm running at the moment. I REALLY don't want to have to alter it, especially taking out any low end. I can tame the farting by turning down my lows on my bass a bit, but this isn't ideal. It also isn't an issue of me having to stay on those notes all the time either, the others all sound great. But I can't imagine gigging and hitting that note and pooping all over the audience.

Also, the pedal runs at 18v and 300mA so I shouldn't have a headroom problem, should I? If this is the nature of the beast I'll have to deal with it as I just love this pedal. It's the only box I've purchased two of.

Also, I remember seeing some mods for some Pigtronix stuff (maybe a volume mod or a bass mod or something) but I can't find if for the life of me on the forum. Any help here as well?

Thanks again guys and gals, I appreciate all the help!

:)
  2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Have you tested to see if it's not an issue with your cab or amp not being able to handle the increased subs?
  3. Swift713

Swift713

I wouldn't have thought the EP2 would create a big resonant bass spike like some envelope filters.
  4. enjoi1018

I haven't, but my cabs an Eden D410XLT, and my amps a LMIII running in my house. There's no way I'm pushing any of that, and its clean as it can be with ally other effects.

Thanks for the quick responses!
  5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

it will.
  6. enjoi1018

Would a HPF like a Microthumpinator fix this?
  7. Unrepresented

Depends on if that's the cause of the problem. Testing is cheap. New gear is expensive.;)
  8. enjoi1018

Correct, sir! How can I test my setup to see if it can't handle these said sub lows?
  9. Unrepresented

Easiest way is to swap configurations around with other parts. Different cabs, different head, DI, headphones, whatever. If the distortion is alleviated in at least one medium, you can track it down more easily.
  10. Jordan S.

Jordan S. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    It's not a flat battery in you bass? I know when the battery gets too low on mine the E string will start to fart.
  11. enjoi1018

Right on to both of you. I always tell myself it's not my bass because I just put a new battery in... I'll double check.

But that's the thing, it's only when the filter triggers. Would a low battery in the bass cause the filter to throw a fuzzy peak out?
  12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    to me, sounds like the low end resonant peak of the envelope might be clipping the front end of you amp.
  13. Unrepresented

Yeah. That's what I was trying to suggest, albeit less eloquently.;)

OP are you having issues in both LFO mode, filter, or both? Filter hits a lot hotter and lower for me than LFO does.
  14. enjoi1018

It's only with the envelope, and only initially during the first part of the note. Blend mode as well, but that's only because it includes the envelope, obviously.

I haven't checked the clip light on the LMIII as it's facing sideways behind a monitor. I'll check that as well.

I do have a PWNZOR after the EP2 and before the amp. It's set to a relatively low ratio, but still I would think it would clamp before it sent my gain stage into clipping.

I can play at this volume on my apartment complex at 10pm with little worry. That's what's confusing me!
  15. Unrepresented

The farting on the envelope mode would support the theory of excessive lows hitting something too hard...
  16. enjoi1018

Well, I just did all the tests above. It's perfect. It's just simply not doing it anymore, even with the lows cranked.
  17. PENLIYL

PENLIYL Supporting Member Supporting Member

I ran mine using an Orange Terror Bass 1000 and a DNA DNS-410 Cab (Best 410 around IMO) with both my Fender ADPB and MM Stingray. Both active basses and I play the hell out of them...

Never farted.
  18. enjoi1018

That's what I'm saying! Maybe it was dust in a jack. Who knows, but mine is now working great!
  19. PENLIYL

PENLIYL Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cool. Glad to hear it.