Pink Floyd, Meddle

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Jan 2, 2013.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I just received this cd in the mail today. It must be my 3rd or so copy. Great album, one of my favorites from PF brings back a lot of memories good & bad. Just wanted to ramble if there are any fans of Pink Floyd or of this album chime in. I'd love to do a cover of "Fearless" in an r&b version with Sade on vocals. Then I woke up. Sweet bass line in the chorus. Sweet dark bass tone on the whole album.

2. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
  3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

4. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Without a doubt, my favorite PF album.

Have you seen Pink Floyd - Live in Pompeii? Before "The Wall" came out, in the theater run it was simply titled "The Pink Floyd Movie". Nice representation of where the band was at, back in the day.

I caught one of their shows at Merriweather Post Pavilion back in the early '70s - outstanding show.

Best regards,
    Lou

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I've put that one on a couple of times...

7. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

well...here's my thoughts:

i love old PF...Piper at the Gates of Dawn...Astronomy Domine etc.

I think all that was a prelude to their two masterpieces Meddle & Dark Side of the Moon.

as far as i'm concerned, there is no Pink Floyd after DSOTM...they were just a shadow of their former selves, making music to make money...god bless 'em....they made a lot....BUT

anyway, put on One of These Days and settle in...by the time you have finished up with Echoes you will have experienced the best of the best.

[​IMG]

8. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

I'm by no means a PF aficionado. I don't even have a copy of The Wall, the early Syd stuff, or Animals. But I have always loved Meddle. Personally, I enjoy it more than Dark Side. It has such a wide spectrum of sound and emotion on it.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep. The first PF show I saw was one set of Dark Side, pre-album release and a second one of mostly some of the classic Meddle and Ummagumma material. Quad sound system, only a third of so of the venue populated (hockey arena curtained from the blue line, audience on the short end), good times. After Dark Side I completely lost interest, in all honesty. The two post-release Dark Side tour shows I saw were both absolutely stellar too though.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall are all real Pink Floyd albums, with all kinds of artistic creativity. All three albums continued to break barriers, and bring something unique and special to rock.

The post-Waters Floyd is not really Floyd at all, but up until that point, I could listen to pretty much anything by this band.

Meddle is certainly important, as it is their first step towards becoming one of the most important bands in rock history.

Never forget Obscured by Clouds. That album has some real gems on it!

11. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

No mention of 'The Final Cut'; the last of the Waters-era Floyd. Than again, it isn't that good of an album; not terribly bad, but not good either. And Animals was an album which consisted largely of older material (You've Got To Be Crazy became Dogs, Raving And Drooling became Sheep, both were already played as of 1974)

Well, that is the thing with Pink Floyd; everybody thaught they would be lost after 'the main creative member' left. I know people that only listen to the Syd Barrett stuff, and thought of PF afterwards as not that good anymore. Same happened with Roger Waters. Albums like The Division Bell do have their moments. The thing is; PF stayed on for just a bit too long. If they'd only called it quits after Animals like they intended to... Then again, we wouldn't have had The Wall (and this one is in no way a Waters solo-album with members of PF, unlike The Final Cut).

I would refrase that: it is the first album where they really got rid of the legacy of Syd Barrett, and found a truelly new voice.

Don't like that record that much. It has some nice tunes, but is in no way better or worse than post-Waters material :bag:

(and yes, I'm a Floydhead; thankfully I was able to see them on the Division Bell tour, since I was too young for dates before that).

12. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Oh, and before I forget: do check out Relics, a real great compilation of early singles and stuff.

13. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

PF without Waters isn't and neither is Waters without PF, contrary to his belief.

I am always amazed that Gilmour isn't mentioned more when influential guitarists come up. His phrasings are spectacular IMO. The whole situation with him reminds me of Alex Lifeson unbelievable mastery but nearly ignored because of their environments.

I like it all. Even death metal can't match the fury of "One of These Days" and the simple beauty of "Wish You Were Here" is rarely matched. These guys had it all.

Maybe PF without Barrett isn't PF either, but what they did was a crazy awesome seminal body of music.

One of these days always pops to mind whenever I think or hear of PF. That music was the defining moment of all the madness in all the lyrics they ever wrote. That they way I see it, none of them speaking through prose , just releasing raw musical fury and adding the one phrase. .

14. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

to each his own...i can't stand the albums you have mentioned...

meddle and DSOTM were not the first steps toward anything...they were the culmination (and the end) of Pink Floyd.

maybe it's a generational thing, but i was 17 when DSOTM came out, and frankly shocked by the poor quality of what came after...

the Wall in particular...and what has been done with it by non-PF "artists" ....makes me want to unswallow...can't stand it...if it comes on can't change the channel fast enough.

[​IMG]

15. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    By my calculations, I am same generation, and also thought that the Wall was one of their weakest albums. But how can you think of Shine On You Crazy Diamond (and I mean the whole thing) as "poor quality"?

16. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

as i said... "to each his own"

[​IMG]

17. tdub0199

tdub0199

Meddle & Animals are my Favorite two albums, Glad to know people are still digging what they did.... I have been a long time fan of theirs and my band who does mostly originals, we have an interlude of Empty Spaces that leads into Another Brick then into Comfortably Numb.....

18. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

The best thing that ever happened to Pink Floyd was Syd Barrett leaving (not the reason he left; that was a damn shame). If Syd Barrett had stayed with Floyd, I doubt we'd be having this discussion, since I think they would have been nothing more than an experimental fringe band. In fact if he hadn't gone mad, I doubt anyone would even know who Syd Barrett was. Dave Gilmour is one of the best guitarists of all time - Pink Floyd would have gone nowhere without him.

19. zazz

zazz

Well said....a lot of things had to happen in order for things to play out like they did. I would highly recommend going to Pompeii and sitting down in the amphitheater during sunset with echoes playing out on the headphones ....a deeply moving experience.

20. powderfinger

powderfinger

San Tropez makes me smile!

21. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Well, we don't know. Pink Floyd live was known as an experimental fringe band, but on record they were rather pop-oriented (Arnold Layne, The Gnome, The Scarecrow, Lucifer Sam,...). We can't be sure of what direction the Floyd were taking if he would've stayend in the band.

And about Gilmour: agreed he is a fine guitarist, but he needed Pink Floyd as much as Pink Floyd needed him. That is also the mistake Roger Waters made; Pink Floyd was more than the sum of people in the band, they all needed each other.