Pink Floyd tribute band: what effects do I need ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rimbaud, Nov 30, 2012.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Hi guys

I'm tested in a Pink Floyd tribute band, (called ROPE, Run Over Pink Elements) and I'd like to know what effects sould I need to play that set-list:

In The Flesh
    The Thin Ice
    The Another Bricks In The Wall part 1
    The Happiest Days Of Our Lives --> slight OD I guess, should I get a vintage one ?
    The Another Bricks In The Wall part 2
    Young Lust
    Echoes
    One Of These Days --> tremolo I can get a boss modified one (Monte Alums volume mod) and a Delay, I can get one too, but wich one would suit better? the vintage Boss DD2 are really overpriced ! (250 € !!)
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Wish You Were Here
    Breathe
    Time + Breathe reprise
    On The Run
    Money
    Any Colour You Like
    Comfortably Numb
    Hey you --> flanger or chorus with fretless ??
    High Hopes
    Have Cigar
    Pigs/Sheep

I guess some will say "amp tubes" for OD.... sorry I don't have the cash for a tube amp, I'm a transistor guy. I think I need to get some "vintage" or "reissue" pedals..... ? all advices welcome !! Thanks in advance ;)

One of the band members will soon open his own musical instruments' shop, so I think it would be cool for me :rolleyes:

The band here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdDF0SgVhEY
  2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

The only effects Roger Waters actually had on his pedalboard were a volume pedal, Bassballs, and a Phase 90. A chorus would be awesome for "Hey You" and of course the tremolo and delay for "One of These Days..."
  3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Don't tempt me with the enveloppe filter, I'm mostly a jazz/funk bassist so I've got to be "nice and quiet" on young lust :D

Phase 90 MXR I suppose, better getting an old one or a new one could be ok ? ya know, the guy with the shop....

Bassbals=enveloppe filter + distortion so I think an enveloppe filter and an OD may do something cool I guess, cos' I think I'll need a little OD with the plectrum on some tunes. OTOH the Bassballs has his own character, I have to consider that too.

If that's all, I think it will be cool thanks a lot guys ;) if someone has another input, feel free!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

wish I was in that band... envy.
  7. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

8. winterburn69

winterburn69

Honestly, I don't think vintage pedals are a must. I play most of these just sitting around at home, although I'd absolutely love to be in a Floyd tribute band. You're living the dream!

Roger also used the BassBalls on Run Like Hell and the Thin Ice too (on bootlegs, not the live album). You'll definitely need the phaser for Have a Cigar and Hey You sounds infinitely better with a chorus. Any standard Boss delay should be acceptable for One of These Days. If you're going for a Guy Pratt feel, he added a phaser to the delay and tremolo on One of These Days and an OC-2 and chorus for the bass solo during Money (if you're going to add that). I don't remember ever hearing any OD during The Happiest Days of our Lives, but a Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face was used on Echoes.

Personally, for when I play these songs, I use a DD-5, OC-2, TR-2, CEB-3, MXR Phase 90 and a BassBalls Nano.
  9. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

about Money: I think I'll stand on the "classic" vibe, just a P and plectrum.

The Bassballs seems really cool over Young Lust and I'm definitely keen on the Pompei version of Echoes, more agressive, so with fuzz.

Both Roger Waters and Guy Pratt styles sound good to me, and I guess the band will tell me before what kind of sound they want, I'm the last after all, I have to "fit in". But If I can bring something else, why not !!

In fact, as I am a jazz/funk guy when I'm listening to Pink Floyd I really dig the first album, The Piper At The Gate Of Dawn, that good old Psyché vibe and if one day they want me to play Lucifer Sam and Astronomy Domine, that will be a dream for me for sure !!
  10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Sounds like the Bassballs paired with a phaser.
  11. omie

omie Supporting Member

Happiest days of our lives has some very satisfying slapback type delay in the intro.
  12. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    I play bass in a PF tribute band.
    All you need is
    Delay
    Tremolo
    phaser
    octaver
    chorus
    envelope filter.

no problem at all answering all the questions you have...
  13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Guy Pratt has an account here, maybe you can ask him for suggestions.
  14. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Yep right ! I can hear that too, but not enabled all the time, one phrase/2 I think :eyebrow:
  15. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Really not OD ?? :eyebrow: some tunes are really gritty/fuzzy with a plectrum P sound, I guess it's the tube gain, but as I previously said I can't afford that for now, so I have to find an alternative to that.

But nice to you ! :) I'll keep that in mind

Thanks also for the G. Pratt suggestion, I must say the things that I want to learn are mostly the Roger Waters vibe, staying close to what he did, and not what G Pratt did while covering previous PF tunes, even if it's a real deal of course !! Pratt kills all the way, but... ya know... I'm A "Waters addict" lol :D
  16. southernconfort

southernconfort

Disclosures:
    croatian bass player
  17. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    name those tunes.

i just hear an OD on One of these days (Live at Pompeii version)

This is my band
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is my setup (+ a Line 6 M13)

[​IMG]

just a couple of vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ZXWbpln94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS0ZtQtAud8
  18. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Happiest days of our lives, album version, seems gritty to my ears, it's subtle but it's not a 100 % clean plectrum sound at all I think:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HGSXQdR4Zo

I dig also the Pompeï version of Echoes, and I really think that a slight OD would bring a cool vibe.

Cool vidz man !! :cool:
  19. chris4001asat

chris4001asat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
  20. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    thanks for the comment !

What you hear as Od in fact is a synth doubling the bass.
    And the bass has Roundwounds strings on (Rotosounds) which makes it more punchy.. unlike most of he played before The wall (he used Rotosound Flatwounds)

cheers !
  21. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member