1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

pinky position, left hand

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by o_land, Jan 19, 2014.

1. o_land

o_land

I'm just wondering if this is a problem.

(pic of left hand)
    http://4gp.tw/b026/1389020958253.jpg

I feel like the pinky should be at a right angle to the finger board, but it feels more natural to have it pointing slightly upwards. It only becomes a problem when I slide up, it's like I'm dragging it.

Any suggestions? Should I twist the wrist slightly outwards? Or lower the thumb behind the neck?

Thanks in advance
  2. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

DB noob here, but my 2 cents... The angle looks fine, but are you locking the middle joint of your pinky? Maybe it's an illusion because of the camera viewpoint, but I believe all fingers should have a nice relaxed curve.
  3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

It's fine. Do you have a teacher?

When you learn proper spacing of your fingers it won't matter and you prob won't notice it. What matters is that you can do it without hurting yourself and that it's efficient while getting the right intonation. With practice any sloppiness (like dragging) will probably work itself out.

Oh yeah, get a teacher.
  4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Disclosures:
    Bassist
    Everyone's hand is different and you can't change its shape. Your pinky naturally points upwards and there is nothing wrong with that, but as "smeet" said, locking the middle joint is not recommended; hold an apple or a tennis ball in your hand without squeezing it, that's more or less the way your hand should be shaped.
  5. o_land

o_land

Thanks for pointing that out about the finger being locked. I didn't notice it. I think I need to use the pinky more flat against the finger board, it doesn't seem to lock up that way.

You guys are my teacher for now. And my mirror of course.
  6. TonyD

TonyD

try to get a gentle arch in your pinky, do not lock it:

7. sludgelord3000

sludgelord3000

Sumit -- did you finally get an upright? (It's me, Collyn.)
  8. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

PM'd you Collyn.