1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pino Palladino's strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by winterburn69, Jan 29, 2013.

1. winterburn69

winterburn69

...for the current Who tour.

He had been using Rotosound Swing 66's since he joined The Who but for the current Quadrophenia tour he's been using black strings. He's really changed his gear for this tour. He's switched from Ampeg to Fender amps, Roto 66s to these mystery black strings and he's even got a pedalboard with more than just an OC-2. Thank goodness he's still using the Jaguar for most of the set. Those things are tone monsters... but I digress...

They're all black. The only black strings I'm aware of are Roto Tru Bass 88s which have a yellowish-gold silk and Roto Nexus' have multi-colored silks. These were just plain black strings as the pictures indicate. Just wondering if anyone has any guess as to what they may be or a more comprehensive list of black strings? Thanks. ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1359474686.486040.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1359474705.602861.jpg
  2. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

DR Black Beauties maybe?
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Or tapewounds of some sort.
  4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Hard to imagine Pino using tapes or flats of any kind with the Who.

My guess is Black Beauties or those Roto Nexus rounds that have the black coating.
  5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Sounds like Black Beauties are probably my answer. All black. Roundwound. From what I've read RotoSound Nexus have multi-color silks like the old RotoSound Spacers so it wouldn't be those.

I don't think anyone playing with The Who has ever used tapewounds since the My Generation bass solo was recorded, plus IMO, playing Quadrophenia, a bass masterpiece, start to finish, you'd definitely want rounds.
  6. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

Here you go..... TIJF's would be my guess......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-k05s8Cm6s
  7. Gearguy

Gearguy

They are definitely DR Black Beauty roundwounds on the Jags and on the P-Bass.
  8. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

Also: what kind of Fender bass is he playing in the 2nd image above (with the two soapbar pickups)?
  9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Custom Shop Fender P bass. Tbird pickups.