1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pino with the Who

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by corinpills, Nov 17, 2012.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Saw them last night in Boston and I have been a major who fan all my life and seen them many times. I know nobody wants to hear it and I don't want to say it, but Pino does not work well in the Who. He just does not drive the band at all, there's no fire in his playing and his tone does nothing to fill the void left by Entwistle. I'm a huge Pino fan, love his work from early in in Pete Townshend's solo career through his current work, so I am really befuddled by how much I do not enjoy him with the Who. He was clearly the man for the job, but what he has chosen to do with it is beyond me.

By far, the highlights of the show last night overall were Entwistle soloing over 5:15 on the video screens and Keith Moon singing "Bellboy" in a similar fashion. Pete was very, very mellow on stage and let his brother Simon do most of the leads in Quadrophenia- not particularly well in sonm cases.
  2. millsbass5

millsbass5

I pretty much agree, also. Pino is a great, great player. BUT, his style and stage presence doesn't fit into that band. Remember now, I'm definitely not taking anything away from his skills (which he has in spades, BTW). He just doesn't have that "larger than life" presence on the stage. Sorry......
  3. ack

ack Supporting Member

I saw them Tuesday night in DC, and I agree - 5:15 was epic because of that solo - even Pino was watching.
  4. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I saw the Who with Pino a few years back, I dug what Pino brought to the band, he didn't try and copy Entwistle, he brought a different groove to the songs. I thought the whole band sounded great, I saw the original band, I thought they were great then and thought they still kicked ass 40 years later.
  5. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

That is solidly true - it just doesn't work.

I completely disagree.

I have always been baffled by the decision to give him Ox's place.

:confused:
  6. mcm

mcm

Totally agree. He doesn't have the attack or attitude.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pino got chosen because they needed someone to learn a 2+ hour set list in a very very short time. I kind of hear what you guys are saying, but I've always enjoyed Pino in the Who for the exact reason that he's not trying to be Entwistle.
  8. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Gotta disagree with the OP. Saw them here in Atlanta and thought Pino did great. Like Jimmy said, he's not trying to be Entwistle. Aside from that, Pino was just playing some outstanding bass, period.
  9. Slackerprince

Slackerprince

Here's a sample:

Check 1:50
    Judge for yourself.
    Big shoes to fill.

S
  10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

The Who doesn't exist anymore. When Keith died, the band was no more. The current group is simply a new one, and Pino happens to be the guy playing bass in this new band.
  11. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

+1

Pino was stepping into a bass gig that would be very difficult for anyone. And I think he's doing the right thing because he isn't trying to mimic John Entwistles style. To do so would just reflect poorly on everyone: Pino, Townshend, Daltrey and Entwistles memory.
  12. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

+1
  13. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

I think if Pino tried to cop what John had brought to the band, we'd consider him a ripoff. He is an amazing player and in almost everything he's been a part of has been greatly complimented by his style and tone, but here he's just a session guy getting some rumble going. A highly respect session guy, just trying to get some rumble going. Theres an entirely new feel to most of the songs, where there was a fiery drive, now its mellow groove.
  14. The Lurker

The Lurker

The proverbial "That's not The Who, it's just Who's Left..."
  15. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

I like what Pino did in his solo section in My Generation. Of course we all miss Entwistle. I'll see them on Feb. 1 in Oakland and see what's what!
  16. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Geez harsh op. imagine getting the call for that gig!

I saw them with Pino and thought they were fabulous. Different, yes, but not worse.
  17. corinpills

corinpills

Let me just reiterate that I really like Pino a lot and have been following him for years. In fact, my problem might be more of a tone issue than a playing issue. I mean, I am genuinely perplexed to see one of my favorite players who has such a history of awesomeness with Pete Townsend and just feel that it's kid of lame. There's just a mighty roar missing in the e fine room of the Who and Pete's playing and tone are a lot more refined and restrained than in the past (less wrong notes, so good for him), plus Roger singing so much more smoothly, the whole thing has just gotten a lot less edgy over the years. Why, it almost sounds like a bunch of rock stars in their late 60s with various health issues playing with a backing band of session guys.
  18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I agree with this and yet--I still don't dig this incarnation of the band. I saw the Quadrophenia tour in the late 90s and loved it, and I think Zak does a great job on the drums. But the Super Bowl show just left me cold. I think Pino is an utterly fantastic player. But the way the Who sound now just convinces me that Entwistle is utterly irreplaceable.
  19. capcom

capcom

After Keith and John passed away, The Who became "The Two".
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, well I'd love to put them in a time capsule and bring back Ox and Keith and make Pete and Roger 26 again. But it ain't happening, folks...two guys are dead, two guys are senior citizens now, and they have every legal right to go out as The Who. And you have every right to sit your ass at home and not go see them.