Pino's rig with the Who

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rizzcombat, Feb 24, 2013.

1. rizzcombat

rizzcombat

Saw Pino for the first time last night with The Who. As expected, he was nothing shy of amazing. However I saw him playing some "unusual" gear, wasn't sure if he's changing his rig or just trying new stuff out.

He was playing Fender amps (looked like the Super Bassman through a Bassman 810) instead of his usual SVT rig. I've never seen/read anything about him using Fender amps, wasn't sure if anyone else had a similar experience (it could have been the backline, but I doubt Pino's on tour without a consistent rig).

He was playing the usual Jaguar for 80% of the tunes, but he was occasionally playing another mystery bass. Looked like a Fender, but it could have been a Lakland or something similar (couldn't get a good look at the headstock). Had a jazz bass body, fiesta red...but it was loaded with Humbuckers in the jazz bass position. Chrome pickup covers.

Any thoughts on either the bass or the amp? Anyone have similar experiences seeing Pino?

2. MingusBass

MingusBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Apparently, they are Thunderbird pickups.

3. SDMFJay

SDMFJay

I think was discussed in another thread somewhere on here. I believe someone called up Fender and the master builder confirmed that there was a new custom one-off bass made for Pino with those feature you describe. There is also a picture floating around within that thread that shows him playing a fiesta red precision with what looks like thunderbird pickups.

4. winterburn69

winterburn69

Yeah it's a custom shop Fender. Tbird pickups and an extra control knob. Btw it's not fiesta red, just regular red, like a candy apple red.

He's also not using Rotosound with The Who anymore, he's switched to DR Black Beauties and not just with The Who. I saw a pic of him with his white Moon bass and it had black strings on it too.

From looking at the Fender site, amps are 1 Fender Bassman 810 Neo Cab and 2 Fender Super Bassman Heads.

Did you get a clear look at his pedalboard?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gearguy

Gearguy

Pino is indeed playing thru the Fender SuperBassman 300 and 8x10 cabinet. It is clearer and more harmonically balanced compared to the SVT.

The other bass is a Pino sig P-Bass tuned down 1/2 step, with old Thunderbird pickups like ones Entwhistle played during the Quadrophenia period.

7. winterburn69

winterburn69

Not to be rude, but what makes you think it's 1/2 step down? I also think its just a Custom Shop Precision, not a Pino Precision, it's red, not fiesta red, different pickguard, different control knob layout. Just my opinion.