Pirastro string tensions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TonyD, Jan 17, 2013.

1. TonyD

TonyD

Does anyone know what are lowest tensions of the Pirastro strings? perhaps Chorda's...? Followed by Olivs?

2. TonyD

TonyD

Hi guys - any ideas/figures about the tensions of Chorda's in lbs or kp? Do they have the lowest tension in the Pirastro string family followed by Olivs?

3. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    Or maybe solo gauge Flexocors?
    I suggest you email Pirastro directly with your question.
    info@pirastro.com

4. donn

donn

I've emailed them. They won't answer the question, was my experience. (Nor will they say they won't answer, they just send you some other stuff in reply.) Things could have changed, though, and it wouldn't hurt to check. Let us know what you find out!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassist1962

bassist1962

Have you checked the stickys for the info you are seeking?

7. TonyD

TonyD

Pirastro is not very informative on this. I know a few Pirastro tensions, see the well known matrix, but Evah Pirazzi and Chorda's are not included. I think Chorda's, followed by Olivs have the lowest tensions. Then perhaps Obligato's followed by the rest...

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

This is exactly my @#$%^&*() with Pirastro.

Now first off: nominal tension is only one small element that goes to overall feel and flexibility, and does nothing to indicate tone, arco or pizz response, etc., or how a particular string will interact with a particular player, bass and repertoire. And a good setup will do more for playability than any particular string tension. Moreover, as we all know, every bass has its "sweet spot" of needing strings of enough tension to drive the top, but not so much the bass is choked. But it is one factor, and almost all the other major string manufacturers, and some of the minor ones as well, do publish tension specs.

Pirastro needs to pony up and help players avoid major mistakes in string purchasing and help players narrow the universe to a few reasonable choices.

Rant over.

9. donn

donn

When I asked one of the "minor" ones, they replied promptly in person, to inform me that they don't publish them simply because they lack the apparatus to make that measurement.

Maybe some university with a strong bass program might be able to get into this act and measure and publish tensions for anyone who'll send them a set of new strings. I don't know how complex the tension measuring machine would have to be, maybe one could just take them over to the School of Engineering shop. For extra credit, devise ways to test other parameters - elasticity, torsion stiffness, vibrational characteristics etc.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

A nail to hang the string on far enough off the ground to add weights any decently accurate pull scale that can be attached at the 106 cm point, and anything to add incremental weight.

Donn -- you're exactly right. It doesn't take that much. So I can see the smaller manufacturers not necessarily doing it, although some do, but there is absolutely no excuse for Pirastro, as large a company and as widespread their strings are, to not do it themselves.

11. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

You might not get absolute values from Pirastro, I think they don't want to publish the tensions, but you might get relative tension information (which pirastro string has more or less tension than another one).

Innovation wants to publish tension but have no time/machine to measure it.

The machine is simple. Build a monochord with about 105 to 110 cm vibrating string length, run the string over a wheel at one end and hang a plate on the string (with three strings) to put weights on. Also get a lot of weights. Set the scale and add weights until the string is tuned up. Retune over the next week until the tuning settles.