Pit Bulls. Great dogs or cold-blooded killers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

On one hand, if you follow the media, you'll see story after story about pit bulls savagely attacking innocent joggers, unprovoked attacks on kids, other dogs and animals. They're certainly painted as some of the most vicious creatures around. You wonder why the hell would anyone would want a pet that could potentially tear your face off and kill your family??
    Yet, on the other hand you have Steve Irwin's (RIP) dog Sui who was a staffordshire terrier, you have Cesar Millan's (Dog Whisperer) dogs "Daddy" and later "Junior", both pits, you have the two pits that worked tirelessly as rescue dogs at the WTC after 911, you have "Sgt Stumpy" one of the most decorated war canines in military history, you have "Petey" from the Little Rascals who was a pit...

I recently adopted my brother's pit bull a few months ago (he had to move to a place where dogs weren't allowed) and I've honestly NEVER owned another dog that was so attentive, obedient and affectionate. When I first took her on, I was a little apprehensive but after the first few weeks, my mind was blown. Here's a dog that has gone into my son's room and walked out with a stuffed animal for him when he was crying about something, a dog that will let me take a bone out of her mouth at will, a dog that comes running into our room at night when she hears my wife coughing when she had a cold as if to say "are you ok!?? Hardly the schizophrenic killer the media makes them out to be. They're just dogs that need firm training, exercise, attention and affection and they're among the best dogs you can own by far.

So how about you guys - any fellow pit owners out there? Or how about haters - why do you hate them and do you believe the media hype?
  2. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Pit Bulls are very nice doggies. I have a friend who rescues them.

There is no bad breed. Only bad owners. I know that gets said a lot, but it's true.

I have a Shepherd/Rottweiler mix, and a Shepherd/Wolf mix, and either dog could be accused of being a killer; in fact, either dog could BE a killer, but they are two of my best friends, and sweeter than pie.
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Different breeds have different inherit traits. So, it isn't always just down to how the dog is raised.

I do think that the pit bull gets a bit of a bad rap. Much of the problems caused by pit bulls are caused by the owners, they are one of those breeds that are seen as "hard man" dogs.

In the UK, there are 4 breeds of dogs which are branded as illegal:

Pit Bull Terrier
    Japanese Tosa
    Dogo Argentino
    Fila Braziliero

Still don't think the Pit Bull should be in that list, not sure if the Fila should be on the list either. The Tosa and Dogo Argentino are both pretty nasty breeds it seems!
  4. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Blame the people. Not the Pits. I've had pits before. Each one of them would kill you by licking your face off before going for your throat.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basstotheface

basstotheface

Pit bulls are great dogs in general. They're just really really powerful, so a Pit raised poorly is one of the most dangerous dogs there is.
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

When my niece died of a heroin overdose 2 years ago, I inherited her pitbull Max. He is a big sweetie. There are certain traits inherent in the breed and you would do well to familiarize yourself with them, but as long as you are a responsible dog owner and you don't put your pitbull in situations where he could get into trouble ( dog parks, running loose, unattended around other aggressive dogs) he will be one of the best friends you will ever have.
  8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I think the term 'pit bull' automatically invokes perceptions of a ruthless, unpredictable and volatile breed of dog.

But people who know their dogs know the difference between, for example, a Staffy and an English. My wife had an English Bull Terrier when we met and he was just amazing. Big, strong and daft as a brush! Like a boulder with teeth...how they trained that dog in The Incredible Journey, I'll never know.

I know plenty of people who've had Staffys and not once has there ever been an issue of the dog going for anyone.

I believe any dog can be conditioned to be loving, loyal and affectionate even though there will always be that latent wild streak, but similarly, any dog could also be conditioned to be an aggressive, volatile animal that has to be permanently muzzled.

The American Pit Bull, I believe, is a breed specifically 'designed' to fight and so I suppose would have a higher propensity for aggression, but with a patient, caring and loving owner could still be brought up - from a pup - to be as much a great family pet as a big floppy Labrador. Although there would still be that shadow of uncertainty as it got bigger, stronger and older?

I dunno....I guess a big problem is the image of meatheads with a mini-meathead on the end of a leash. Not a stereotype I personally subscribe to, but one that many do.
  9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

I agree, but when you think about it a Saint Bernard or an Irish Wolfhound for example poorly raised would be even more dangerous than a Pit I'd think. A pit is powerfully but certainly not THE most powerful.
    I do think there's more than a little media hype going on, but yeah they do certainly have some inherent traits to be aware of as others have said.
  10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

That's funny. My nickname for Max is "Meathead". He is Brindle in color and I believe a Staffordshire, though I have had people tell me he looks like an American pit. He was discarded by breeders of fighting pits ( I guess he was the runt) and my niece found him crying in a dumpster in the city when she was about 16. He fit in the pocket of her hoodie then. Not an aggressive dog by any stretch of the imagination. He is definitely a meathead though.
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Gentlemen, Max.

[​IMG]
  12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Max is a cool-lookin' dog!

here's my cold-blooded killer with her latest "kill" - a stuffed animal she sleeps with:

[​IMG]
  13. spade2you

spade2you

They can be nice. They can be mean. Regardless, they have powerful jaws that can put people in the hospital. I've seen this up close and personal. Don't want to ever see it again, especially on a kid who got mauled in her own damn yard by one that got loose. The owner exercised her rights and the kid had years of reconstructive surgery.
  14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

15. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Pits score higher on the AKC test for family dogs than the golden retriever. The stigma attached to them is completely unfair, and based on awful owners imo.
  16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

She's a big sweetie too. :)

Max is a big ol' baby. He is afraid of rain. He must sleep in a bed or on a blanket ( Of course I mean a dog bed), he barks like crazy at gunshots and thunder. And if you yell at him, you can see that it hurts his feelings. His life revolves around a stick. A log actually. I have to keep it put up though and give strict instructions that no one besides me play fetch with him. He takes it VERY seriously and in the process of getting a better grip on his stick/log, he got my hand once. Yes their jaws are extremely powerful.

Like I said, when you own a pitbull you have a responsibility to the dog to keep him/her out of trouble. This is a commitment I take VERY seriously.
  17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

But if the dog got lose, the owner was not exercising any right at all, they were being negligent.

A negligent owner is going to have a dog with problems regardless if it's a schnauzer, Pit, Doberman or whatever have you.
  18. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never met a Pit Bull who was a match for ANY of these guys:

[​IMG]
  19. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

so true. Where's the damn "like" button in TBOT??
  20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

My other dog is an 11 year old Golden and he is smarter than most people I know. I wouldn't say either one of them make better family pets than the other. They are both great and both require a commitment to protect and train and love them.
  21. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned