pitch problems while playing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Siceone, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Siceone

Siceone

I seem to have some pitch shifting sharp while. Playing and some weird harmonics is it possible that the bridge could cause this? I pit some paperbetween the saddles and that seemed to help any suggestions I have a p bass that have put together.

Thanks for your help.

2. Phil Jolly

Phil Jolly

I would say this is due to the intonation. I have found this with my current bass. If you play around with harmonics, natural and artificial you can find pairs on different strings that are/should be the same pitch. If you find a few comparisons between strings that aren't always the same, try adjusting the intonation.
    The paper under the saddles may have raised the string slightly causing the lnght of string that vibrates to change. I suggest carefully fiddling with the bridge but remembeing how many turns you have gone either way so if it gets worse you can always return the saddles to their original position.
    This is my first reply so i hope its helpful. I still haven't got any replies :( haha. Take care.

3. EvilJekyll

EvilJekyll

+1

Problems with notes being sharp/flat will either be because of intonation or neck bow. Definitely check the intonation, and if need be get a proper set-up done.

4. Phil Jolly

Phil Jolly

You might get a better response if you posted this in the "hardware, setup and repair" sub-forum.

5. Register to disable this ad