1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

pitch shift

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FizzyStik, Mar 22, 2013.

1. FizzyStik

FizzyStik

My cover band is going to play Stevie Wonder's Signed Sealed Delivered, which is originally in F, but our vocalist wants to sing in D. I suppose I'm being a baby here, but I really enjoyed learning it in F, using the open strings. Moving way up to D really sucks the life out of the bassline.

Is there a pedal that will easily let me play on the low F fingering, but translates the sound to D? I guess either up or down shift. I'm hoping something very easy where I just click the right number of half-steps up or down.

There are a couple of other songs I could use this for, too, where the loss of open strings makes the feel different.
  2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Transpose it DOWN. If you have a 5-string, you get to use your B-string. :D

It's not that difficult... I just did it in about 5 minutes - on a 4-string.

Looking for a short-cut will NOT make you a better musician.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

There's no pedal or device that I'm aware of that will accurately transpose your pitch like that. Plenty of effects will pitch shift, but not in the way you describe. Consider tuning down to D standard? (D-G-C-F) Might need some heavier strings, but D standard is where it's at for us 4 stringers that like to get down.
  4. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

You can use a boss super shifter to change keys. I own the pedal and have tried the key change just for fun. It comes out pretty digital sounding, but it does work.
  5. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

There are several available on the market, the most norotious being the Morpheus Droptune.
    It's polyphonic, you set and it transposes whatever you play.
    [​IMG]

I still prefer to detune or use an octaver.
    If you do a lot of covers with various singers, a 5 string bass really is the way to go. It makes your life much simpler.
  7. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Pay studio musician. Sample. Buy looper. Profit.