1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

PJ Bass Pickups Replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Masai40, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Masai40

Masai40

I am new to this forum, so forgive me if I am asking a question that has been asked countless of times. I just purchased a cheap Stagg Fretless and whoever owned it before replaced the stock pickups with EMG PJ Bass Pickups. I got this instrument dirt cheap ($165) shipped and don't mind investing in even better pickups. The neck on the instrument is really good and has a nice feel. I wanted to now what PJ styled pickups you would recommend.

You can hear the sound of the bass on some of my youtube videos (keep in mind I am playing it through a Henriksen jazz amp as I am primarily a jazz and classical guitar player).

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan makes good after market pickups as does Bill Lawrence and others ...
  3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I actually really like the EMG PJX set. I use them right now on my Aerodyne.
  4. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

If those are the original low-Z (battery powered) EMGs, they are great pickups. I played a no-name fretless J for years. I finally upgraded to original EMGs. They sounded great, but mostly I wanted to get rid of hum and at the time I played a lot outdoors so I didn't want the strings grounded to the amp. The big fretless upgrade is to learn to play forte with the left hand and mezzoforte with the right, so to speak. You have to bury that string in the fingerboard or your notes will all sound "foof, foof" instead of singing. If you don't nail that, equipment changes can't help you sound better. Once you nail that, then maybe equipment changes will pay off, if it turns out you really feel a need to fiddle with the hardware after you get that gonzo sound.
  5. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Many feel the original EMGs are still the best. I have an ESP Vintage 4 PJ that I have these in now (had passive Duncan vintage hots from factory) and the volume balance is much better.

These retail around $200, more than cost of the bass. Great score. Give 'em a chance, you may decide not to change a thing.
  6. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

The new Aguilar PJ set looks pretty good to me.