Pj pickup advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joshuadriller, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

I'm building a PJ and I'm looking for some pickups for it.
    I'm searching for passive pups that would work well for all types of music (especially alt. rock, and rock playing).
    I play fingerstyle and with a pick (palm muting). So my question to you guys is what should I go after..?
  2. millsbass5

millsbass5

DiMarzio P+J pups.
  3. Teacher

Teacher

P46 + J45.
  4. George Mann

George Mann

It helps to include the make of your recommendations. In this case, the Wilde by Bill Lawrence.
  5. George Mann

George Mann

I personally listen to what an instrument sounds like acoustically before selecting a pickup.
  6. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

I thought those were made for 5's...?
  7. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Never mind I just looked it up. Those are pretty nice!
  8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

The Dimarzio model p and j are probably best for you. Pretty cheap but they sound good.
  9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I Dont see how that would work since he is doing a build in the first place. Plus pickup dont work acoustically.
  10. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

You can get a lot of info about the tone of a solid body bass or guitar by playing it unplugged. Some bodies "ring" nicer than others, some sustain longer, some sound brighter, others darker. Pretty much if a solid body doesn't ring nicely acoustically it isn't going to sound good electrically.

Every time I check out an instrument in a music store I try it out un-plugged first.
  11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I guess I can see what you mean, I hate the sound of my bass unplugged. But plugged in it sounds great.
  12. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I chose the EMG P/J set. Easy, great sound, super quiet...
  13. George Mann

George Mann

Because the pickup compliments the acoustic properties of the tone-wood!:bassist:
  14. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

You might want to talk to Pat Wilkins. In addition to some of the best paint and finish work anywhere, he also makes his own basses and winds his own pickups. I have a set in an active PJ5 w/flats, and another in a passive P5 w/nickels and they are both delicious sounding. I use them for a variety of styles, with and without a pick and I love 'em.
  15. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

This.

I just got a set of DiMarzio DP126 P/J in cream.

Sweet.

I only play Ibanez Destroyers and I always put DiMarzio pickups in them. They give me that rock growl I desire.

I also highly recommend Pat!

Cheers!

MJW
  16. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

fwiw... I got a set of peavey foundation s active pickups off ebay a few months ago, and put them in a fender zone pj, and they completely blew away the stock pups and the emg pj set I was using. tons of tone. finding a set, however... another story...
  17. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Hey you might contact Joe at Gamma he built some pups for me and I love em as much as my EMG passive p/j. I play rock and fast rock punk rock used EMG for over 20yrs and I will not use anything but the pups from Joe at Gamma. He seems to get as close as poss to what a customer asks for...
  18. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Duncan Quarter Pounders.
  19. Down_Low

Down_Low

Got a set of Fralins in my passive PJ. Already had the Fralin P, and ordered a 5% overwound split J to go with it. Quite happy with them, although I'd probably look at a 10% over wound if I had it over again.
  20. bassbenj

bassbenj

When I was putting together my P/J 5er I went with Dimarzio J and Fender P. A terrific sounding combo. And the P soloed really sounds like a "P". But be aware that they don't quite balance. The P is about 15%-20% hotter than the J. Some people overwind the J to compensate but I prefer to keep it all stock and just roll back the P volume a tad to get balance.

This is always the problem with P/J configurations. Getting a nice balance when both volumes are up full. The alternative is to get over or underwound pickups and then everyone complains that with pickups soloed they don't sound like a "real" P-bass.