Place bass cab next to subwoofer or away?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kringle77, Mar 5, 2014.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

For background, my band uses in-ears so generally my bass cab goes out front with a pa top sitting on it. The other top is on the other side of the stage sitting on our single subwoofer. This has worked really well as it gets my bass sound out front and fills out the low end on the side of the stage without the subwoofer. It really seems to trick the ear that way. But, since you would normally get a more even low end with subwoofers placed together, would I be better off putting my cab next to the side with the subwoofer?

We are playing a room this weekend that is basically gymnasium like. Most of you understand this type of nightmare. So, Im trying to up the odds of sounding good. I have also thought about stacking the pa tops in a vertical columb on top of the subwoofer, hoping the keep the sound as coherant as possible with less cancelations, sound bouncing off more walls etc. In that case the band would set up with the bass amp on one side of the drums, guitar amp on the other and the vertical pa stack off to one side. Any input would be much appreciated.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Depends on how far apart the sub and the bass cab are. If they're not so close where their wavelengths interfere with each other, then it's fine, but if they are, you can create power alleys and dropout zones. Wish I knew the separation lengths offhand, but you can find that info out on Google.
  3. dincz

dincz

If the sub is properly crossed over, there shouldn't be any common shared frequencies so no phasing problems, no?
  4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Generally 20' to so from each other on average so, yeah, that may create some power alleys. There isn't one club that we play at anymore that is condusive to sounding good. All weird shapes or else big rectangle reverb chambers. Really tough.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Could you set up early and experiment? Sometimes just a few inches of an angle adjustment makes a big difference. We once were booked in a huge concrete warehouse that was about 100' X 250.' There was no stage so we set up in the middle (on one wall but aimed at the opposite wall) but aimed our PA slightly off axis so we wouldn't hear any slap or echo. I tilted my bass cab slightly downward and that helped. We were totally clueless to what we were doing but it worked. Gig turned out to be a lot of fun.
  7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

The vertical column, as often stated here, will tend to sound the best. As for your bass cabinet, if the bass is also in the PA then it is best to have it as close to the sub as possible. Otherwise there will be wave interference effects, also known as acoustic lobing. As long as separation distance is below 1/2 wavelength the cabs will act as a single source and there will minimal lobing. As an example, if the sub is crossedover at 100Hz that distance is about 1.68m or about 5.5 feet since the wavelength of 100Hz is 3.37m.

It's not entirely clear to me which is the case but if your bass is not in the PA then it shouldn't matter much where you put it relative to the sub.