Places a bass player should see in NY, CT, GA.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mister_argentum, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum Supporting Member

Dear TBers,

Next month I'll be visiting the US (for the first time). What places (bass related, music related) can you recommend as worth visiting?

Also, what music stores in NY are worth visiting (lots of american basses, amps, etc) ?

I'll be in the US for three weeks as I'll be visiting family and friends.

Thanks in advance, any advice will be more than welcome.

Best,

M.
  2. Mister_argentum

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Where in NY and CT? I don't want to assume you mean NYC...and even then...where in NYC? It's a big place.
  4. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

I mean there is Rudys if you wanna see high end basses, I was just there today, nt if you wanna just see american basses theres a Sam Ash thats just general stuff, both in NYC
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Atlanta bass gallery. The big chicken.

Try posting in Off Topic. [DEL]They like to mouth off more.[/DEL] It gets more traffic.
  7. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

House of Guitars in Rochester, NY.
  8. kreider204

kreider204

Beat me to it. Use to love to visit there when I was a younger lad, haven't been back in years.
  9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Unless the world has drastically changed 48th street has plenty of guitars etc. The visit Matt Umanov on Bleeker street. In fact spend a day walking around the Bleeker Street area. Avoid Bleeker Bobs. Go to Ponchitos and the Blind Tiger
  10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

If you're spending an evening in Connecticut and you're anywhere near New Haven, see who's playing at Toad's Place. Modest-sized venue that gets a lot of great bands coming through.
  12. Mister_argentum

Thank you guys for the answers.

Let me specify, by NY I intended NYC, I'll be in queen's brooklin and bronx.

So good to hear about connecticut because I'll be in new haven, I'll check out who's playing there.

I'm leaving tomorrow, I'm sure there's a lot going on the USA so I'll let some room for improvising.

Cheers,

Mauro
  13. ptleftybass

ptleftybass Supporting Member

Sadowsky in queens, the Sam Ash on 34st is where some of the 48th street stores have merged, Mannys and the Bass Lounge. If you go tho Sam Ash you will probably see Larry Hartke he runs the bass department and Ian Goldrich son of Mannys founder Manny Goldrich works there handling their vintage guitars. Enjoy you trip to the US!
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Most of the better stores are in Manhattan:
    Sam Ash on 34th
    Guitar Center on 14th
    30th Street Guitars
    Rudy's on 48th
    Rivington on 4th (very overpriced IMO)
    Umanov Guitars on Bleeker
    Ludlow Guitars
    1st Flight Music
    Warwick Custom Shop

Brooklyn has Main Drag Music.
    Staten Island has Mandolin Brothers
    Queens has Sadowsky and Guitar Center
    No clue on the Bronx...they have The Yankees :)

They are all going to be hit or miss in terms of what they have in stock. 30th Street has a decent amount on vintage stuff. I'm not sure they even carry new basses or amps. Ludlow has a ton of effects but not much bass stuff.

It has, Rudy's is the only place left on 48th.
  15. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

I just found this out the hard way visiting NYC for the first time in a long while. Stupid Yahoo had Sam Ash listed on 48th. Walked there and found Sam and the old Manny's closed. Rudy's was cool, but on the small side. Bass players hike it up to the third floor.

I went to the new Sam Ash store. Nice selection of gear. I met Larry Hartke there and he was very cool.
  16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

In Georgia, the Georgia Theater and the Tabernacle would be awesome places to try and catch a show. Sound Tribe Sector 9 came out of there and they've been slaying it lately. It's a pretty hip scene:

17. swrbass5

swrbass5

I was in Atlanta at Six Flags with the kids for a weekend. Stopped by the Atlanta Bass Gallery, which was right on the way from our hotel. It is VERY hard to find, in an industrial (or medical looking) office mall. In fact, I drove right up to the door before I figured out that the sign was right in front of me. Very nice store - really organized inside. You can tell that this isnt a place where alot of "kids" come in and get nasty hands on the instruments -(like some of the chain stores I've visited).
    NutDog - I'm assuming that's the Big Chicken in Marietta? Lol
  18. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

No kidding ABG is hard to find! I decided to check it out last Fall after driving down to Atlanta for a Rush concert. Drove all over the place trying to find it. Asked several people including employees of the Starbucks across the road, and nobody had a clue where it was. The fact that it's on the backside of a strip mall and no big signs out front make it almost impossible to see. Nice store though. Lots of high-end stuff that you don't see at places like GC.
  19. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Is there another?

The list of attractions in GA that you can't see anywhere else is kind of short. Stone mountain, Vidalia Onion Fest in the spring, Ellijay Apples in the fall (side trip to Burt's Pumpkin Farm), John Turner's house.... The three dollar cafe at Windy Hill used to have a world class beer selection.

Go to a mall or decent place to eat on the north side of Atlanta and you'll see some of the most beautiful, sweetest, best sounding women in the world.
  20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Georgia Tech, CNN, Atlanta Aquarium, Coke Factory?
  21. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Cool places, I'm sure, if, unlike me, your interests extend beyond music, food, hot babes and beer (not necessarily in that order).

I spent several years at GA Tech extending my adolescence. It holds 3 unique distinctions that I'm aware of:

1. Most red bricks per square foot.
    2. Most nerds per square foot.
    3. A babe repelling device hidden somewhere on campus. The story goes a brilliant engineer named George P. Burdell built it in the 60's. He also built a babe magnet. He was going to keep the magnet and hide the chick repeller at the University of GA as a prank. But word got out and three UGA students (I use the term loosely) stole them both. They hid the repeller somewhere on campus. I'm pretty sure it's in the Chi Psi house, but it could also be in Smith dorm.

They took the magnet back to Athens and buried it along Milledge Ave. Several attempts were made to recover it but whenever the Tech search parties got close to the beautiful women they lost their ability to speak and think. Some had uncontrollable bowel movements. It wasn't pretty.

George P. Burdell went into hiding.