Plain Gut A Choices?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by tyb507, Aug 21, 2013.

1. tyb507

tyb507

What plain gut A strings do folks like? I put on a full set of Lenzners with wound E and A, and while I'm loving them for the most part, the round winding doesn't do it for me. I'm thinking of getting a plain A and a flat wound E (maybe even a low-tension steel string). I do a bunch of slapping, some grassing and roots country.

Pistoy, Lenzner, DD?

thanks!

2. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

I have used a NOS "O.S. Mari" plain gut A. The Mari was very low tension and slightly pitch indistinct, though sounded great and would work for a player who is doing mostly slap bass with some basic pizz. I think the "Gotz" gut plain As David Gage are a modern equivalent, and the price is fair.

The Pistoy A is another beast entirely. Even in the "light" gauge its huge and high tension, with a really unique twisting pattern. It was clear like a gut D and was pretty quick for a huge ol' gut string. I found this string much more usable pizz than the Mari, but it still slapped great. Its also insanely expensive!

You might want to consider the copper-and-silk Velvet Garbo Light E and A as well. Reasonably priced compared to gut, loud acoustically, totally flatwound, very slap friendly.

3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan of the Pistoy A- they are expensive as Hatey points out, but consider the value of the string rather than the price. A wound string will need to be rewound at some point- but a plain string just keeps on gittin' it.

I think I'm coming up on two years with my Pistoy A. Judging from the performance I've gotten to date, I think I can expect it to be reliable for the next twenty years! :cool:

Joe

4. tyb507

tyb507

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards a Pistoy...I've got Damion Duglogolucgkeckikei D and G strings I haven't put on yet that I got lightly used for a song, and I don't mind paying for quality!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Cool man, you should really like that combo, the Pistoy A is a safe bet. Also, Gamut is beginning to make flatwound gut bottom strings if price is not a concern!

7. bigshiny

bigshiny

I have had very good luck with the Lenzer plain A and E. A long time ago I used to get the Gotz. Been playing with plain E or A of either of these brands these since '99 or so. Just tried a Blast Cult Low Life E but the jury is still out on that.

8. tyb507

tyb507

Thanks. Having taken a second look at the Pistoy price, I got cold feet! I was thinking they were in the $150 ballpark...not $230! If I went steel E I'll probably go EP weich or Spirocore, since I'm familiar with them.

I'm also considering a Dlugolecki wound A. He says they polish the NiAg winding so that it is pretty smooth, and doesn't have the "noise" of a round wound.