1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Plain Gut A Choices?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by tyb507, Aug 21, 2013.

1. tyb507

tyb507 Supporting Member

What plain gut A strings do folks like? I put on a full set of Lenzners with wound E and A, and while I'm loving them for the most part, the round winding doesn't do it for me. I'm thinking of getting a plain A and a flat wound E (maybe even a low-tension steel string). I do a bunch of slapping, some grassing and roots country.

Pistoy, Lenzner, DD?

thanks!
  2. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

I have used a NOS "O.S. Mari" plain gut A. The Mari was very low tension and slightly pitch indistinct, though sounded great and would work for a player who is doing mostly slap bass with some basic pizz. I think the "Gotz" gut plain As David Gage are a modern equivalent, and the price is fair.

The Pistoy A is another beast entirely. Even in the "light" gauge its huge and high tension, with a really unique twisting pattern. It was clear like a gut D and was pretty quick for a huge ol' gut string. I found this string much more usable pizz than the Mari, but it still slapped great. Its also insanely expensive!

You might want to consider the copper-and-silk Velvet Garbo Light E and A as well. Reasonably priced compared to gut, loud acoustically, totally flatwound, very slap friendly.
  3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan of the Pistoy A- they are expensive as Hatey points out, but consider the value of the string rather than the price. A wound string will need to be rewound at some point- but a plain string just keeps on gittin' it.

I think I'm coming up on two years with my Pistoy A. Judging from the performance I've gotten to date, I think I can expect it to be reliable for the next twenty years! :cool:

Joe
  4. tyb507

tyb507 Supporting Member

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards a Pistoy...I've got Damion Duglogolucgkeckikei D and G strings I haven't put on yet that I got lightly used for a song, and I don't mind paying for quality!
  5. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Cool man, you should really like that combo, the Pistoy A is a safe bet. Also, Gamut is beginning to make flatwound gut bottom strings if price is not a concern!
  6. bigshiny

bigshiny

I have had very good luck with the Lenzer plain A and E. A long time ago I used to get the Gotz. Been playing with plain E or A of either of these brands these since '99 or so. Just tried a Blast Cult Low Life E but the jury is still out on that.
  7. tyb507

tyb507 Supporting Member

Thanks. Having taken a second look at the Pistoy price, I got cold feet! I was thinking they were in the $150 ballpark...not $230! If I went steel E I'll probably go EP weich or Spirocore, since I'm familiar with them.

I'm also considering a Dlugolecki wound A. He says they polish the NiAg winding so that it is pretty smooth, and doesn't have the "noise" of a round wound.