1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Planer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cstar, Mar 20, 2014.

1. cstar

cstar

I'm in need of a small planer to process some rough sawn 2" ash and cherry that was given to me. I was using a router on a jig to plane before but this is a decent amount of wood and I really need a planer anyway. None of the wood is beyond, say, 10" wide and 2" thick.

What brands/models would you reccomend to me? Thanks.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I have a Ryobi 12" that has worked well for me. It must be 20 years old by now.

3. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  4. cstar

cstar

I see that home depot carries a Ryobi 13" that has good reviews.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Should I be concerned about the ability of a cheap planer to handle harder woods, like Northern ash and maple?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cstar

cstar

Huh, ok thanks. Looks well built. A little bit more than what I'd be looking to spend probably, but I do want something that will hold up for a few years

7. LightGroove

LightGroove

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Not with sharp blades and light passes.

9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

That Ryobi is a good plainer.

lowsound

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have a Ridgid planer, its a great tool, but I rarely use it. I usually just resaw with my band saw then use my drum sander. The drum sander has a much larger capacity.

11. floydman

floydman

the DW 735 linked by tjclem is great. I use a DW 734 that has been great to me. I have used it with oak, maple, most recently black locust which is super tough and I was sure it was going to kill the blades, but I left them in, and it continued on to run several 10"+ wide cherry boards without blinking, for a bookshelf I am finishing up.

12. floydman

floydman

one thing you will find if you read some of the planer tool tests by fine woodworking and others, is that you get a much better planed finish when using dust collection, no matter what model planer you are using. So if you don't have a dust collector yet, might want to plan for one. more importantly, it is not good to breathe wood dust!

13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I have a 12.5" Porter-Cable from Lowe's. I think it cost me $280 and change. It leaves a beautiful polished surface on the planed wood.

14. Arnie

Arnie

I got very luck I got a used small delta on craigslist for $125 but those are far and few between.

15. CholisGuitars

CholisGuitars

I too have the dewalt. I used to have a delta. Both good machines. Dust collection is a must unless you're using it outside.

16. mrz2u

mrz2u

I would keep an eye on craigslist. Patience and you can find a deal. Make sure you can still get factory knives for what you find out there though. If you cant and have to go custom then your "deal" ceases to be so!