Planning for the Future....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Templar, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Like "George Jetson" style Future.

And it's pink!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I don't usually like pink stuff, but I gotta say "Eep Op Ork Ah-Ah!" to the design. Somehow I can see Jet Streamer rockin' this axe. After all, he is his band's bassist.
  3. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

I dig it! Totally functional pickguard too!
  4. Templar

lol Yeah, the guard doubles as a boomerang too.

Seller said 8.3 lbs, which is right in my wheelhouse these days (sadly).

Will post impressions when it arrives next week.
  5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

That looks like fun!
  6. P Town

P Town Guest

Will that be delivered by a drone?
  7. Templar

Yes, of course.

I've already cleared a landing area on my lawn.
  8. Templar

Well the Retronix has been here for a few days now. For anyone interested here's a run down.

First off....I like it. It's nicely made (Korea), flawless fit and finish. The metallic shell pink is gorgeous.

Most importantly, it sounds great, and it has a distinctive voice. That's a big deal to me, that it sounds different. It has character.

Three single coil pickups spec'd by Seymour Duncan, labeled "Dracowyre". They look like quarter pounders but sound different. The neck pickup sounds a smidge overdriven when solo'd. The other two sound clear. This is obviously part of the intended sonic recipe.

Any of the 3 pickups can be solo'd via the 5-way toggle. The neck and center pup can be played together, and so can the bridge and center pup. These combos are both killer.

Kinda hard to describe, but when either of the two-pup combos are selected, there is an audible separation of tone. Reminds me of back in the day when we bi-amped our rigs. The tone is strong and throaty. And articulate, modern for sure.

For comparison, I have a Godin Shifter here which has a similar elec array, and sounds very nice. But this Retronix sounds more compelling and more dimensional.

Playability is superb, somebody over there knows what they're doing. Frets are beautifully dressed. Notes are clear and solid across the board, and all the way up and down. Very impressive.

Niggles:

The top strap pin is at about the 14-15 fret, which of course makes 1st position playing a bit of a reach.

Along with that, the side dots are very small, not easy to spot in dim lighting. With the 2" position differential between the Retronix and my other basses, I could use some bigger dots to glance at. Spector players should feel right at home, tho.

Lastly, a minor thing. The side mounted output jack plate is plastic. Should be chromed steel at the price point IMO.

Overall, an interesting and keep-worthy bass, both sonically and visually.
  9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Very cool!
    I like the Retronics designs and have wondered about the quality and sound. From your description it seems like it will be a real blast to play and it sure is an attention-getter!

Congrats!
  10. Templar

Thanks. Yeah, not a bass to take along to a blues band audition.

Maybe a B-52's tribute band audition. lol
  11. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Cool! And thanks for the review.