Planning the next build: Mahogany body with Wenge Neck. What J Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Isotonic, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I already have the body and the neck which has a Satine fret board. I am thinking that these woods are going to make for a mellow, mid rich tone, so I would like to find a set of pickups that aggressive enough to give a point to the mellowness, but also one that can harvest all the midrange sweetness of the tone woods.

:help: Suggestions? :help:
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

These are aggressive when wide open, and can give you a sweet vintage tone with the volume rolled back slightly.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/ProductPage.asp?ImageLink=MGJSB&ProductName=For Bass
  3. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
  4. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Both of these are now on my shortlist. To add another ingredient: DR Lo-Riders. They will be my first set of DR strings. The descriptions that appeal are the powerful but smooth mid punch and the fast transient response. I am hoping that the Lo-riders will balance fast transients with the complex but somewhat dark mid response. A pickup that can capture that, one that has the right high mids to carry the lower mid complexity into the mix.
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Stainless Lo-Riders IMHO are the best strings on the market. They are brighter than nickles but not as bright as the average stainless strings. Its a perfect compromise, and they hold their tone for a long time once they are broken in.

Nickle Lo-Riders are much to dark for my taste.