1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Planning the next build: Mahogany body with Wenge Neck. What J Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Isotonic, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I already have the body and the neck which has a Satine fret board. I am thinking that these woods are going to make for a mellow, mid rich tone, so I would like to find a set of pickups that aggressive enough to give a point to the mellowness, but also one that can harvest all the midrange sweetness of the tone woods.

:help: Suggestions? :help:

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

These are aggressive when wide open, and can give you a sweet vintage tone with the volume rolled back slightly.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/ProductPage.asp?ImageLink=MGJSB&ProductName=For Bass

3. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
  4. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Both of these are now on my shortlist. To add another ingredient: DR Lo-Riders. They will be my first set of DR strings. The descriptions that appeal are the powerful but smooth mid punch and the fast transient response. I am hoping that the Lo-riders will balance fast transients with the complex but somewhat dark mid response. A pickup that can capture that, one that has the right high mids to carry the lower mid complexity into the mix.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Stainless Lo-Riders IMHO are the best strings on the market. They are brighter than nickles but not as bright as the average stainless strings. Its a perfect compromise, and they hold their tone for a long time once they are broken in.

Nickle Lo-Riders are much to dark for my taste.