1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

plastic film on pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wrench45us, Nov 29, 2012.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

On a new out of the box bass there seesm to be a thin plastic film over the pickguard.

There were two pinholes and I picked at one to see what it was and made the hole bigger and so now it's not so pristine.
    Are these protective films and meant to be removed or just stay on for more protection? It would seem to be a bit of a problem to remove with all the screws that seem to have been placed through the film.

Is it better to remove now or later or not at all?
  2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

The film is meant to be removed unless you are planning to not play the bass but just keep it as a pristine, unused collector piece. Yeah, it's a little tough to get all the plastic shreds out from around the pickguard screws - just keep picking at the little shreds, I guess. Or you could plan ahead and cut carefully around the screw heads with an X-Acto knife before you peel off the plastic film.
  3. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Yeah it's meant to be removed. You can take all the screws out to make it easier, or you can just pull it all off.
  4. Johntheson

Johntheson

I take a few screws at a time out when removing the film, but you can do it any way you like. If it's a Fender; the most aggravating part is around the knobs. Your PG will look great compared to what it looks like with the plastic on it. Remove it.
  5. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    It's just the same crap you get on a new phone/laptop. Just peel it away. You could always unscrew them a little way and pick the film from under. :)
  6. wrench45us

wrench45us

thanks we noobs appreciate the guidance
  7. Emibass

Emibass

DON´T REMOVE IT!! It will change the tone and it can never be played again.
  8. the ombudsman

the ombudsman

Or worse: It could explode and create a gap in space-time continuum. :smug:
  9. dalkowski

dalkowski

What's the best plastic film for metal?
  10. ErikW

ErikW

11. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

When you buy a new bass, 20% of the price is to be able to peel that stuff off!!
  12. Buskman

Buskman

Or you could just buy a "new" bass off the sales floor at your local GC and most (if not all) of the plastic will be off already... :bag:
  13. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

I try to keep the plastic on for as long as possible, which usually only lasts a few short months, just to extend the life of having a shiny scratchless PG for a little longer. Once it starts peeling off from normal wear than the whole thing has to go. Which envolves loosening the knobs and jacks and a few screws to get those last little slivers out.
    Perform a ceremonial devirginization process on your new bass. You'll feel good and dirty afterward and ready for a smoke.
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

I've only heard two plastic film horror stories. Lived one of them.

I bought a American Standard Strat at GC a few years ago, and the sales guy started polishing the guitar I said "feel free to remove the plastic" and I swear, it was stuck like nobody's business. It took him a half hour to clean the gunk off. I instantly thought that the guitar must've been on the wall awhile or had been subjected to extreme heat, but it played so good (still does) I didn't care.

Someone here also had a similar experience.

Yet I bought a 30 year old Aria Pro II with the plastic still on, and it came right off.
  15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Back around '94 or '95 I bought an AV '62 Reissue Fender P that had sat unsold in a Memphis shop for years. (Go figure. It was an awesome bass!) Anyway, when I got it home and started to remove the plastic, it was so old that it had literally bubbled up and would only peel off in tiny pieces. It would have taken forever. I asked a tech friend of mine if he had ever dealt with that problem. He told me to spray a bit of WD-40 on a rag and wipe it on the plastic. Worked like a charm. Got it all off in no time. You just have to be careful not to get it on the body of the bass. Probably wouldn't hurt it if you did, but it's easy enough not to do. Easier still if you remove the guard while doing it.
  16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you peel off the plastic film, you get hauled away by the same label police that arrest people who take tags off pillows and furniture.
  17. wabbit

wabbit

Oh damn! Those people are the WORST bunch of aholes ya ever want to meet. They make Dirty Harry look like Deborah Harry... with less makeup... or more. I dunno really. Not sure what Harry is up to these days.
  18. GM60466

GM60466

Make sure that you dispose of the plastic film properly, Always remember, it is not a toy.
  19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I ate mine. I also ate my ex wife's placenta after our son was born. Do as I say: eat it.
  20. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Well that escalated quickly....