Play bass for a living, or just a hobby...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Thumpinthenight, Dec 31, 2013.

?

Main reason for playing Bass

Poll closed Jan 25, 2014.
  1. Play Bass for a living

27 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Play Bass just for hobby

157 vote(s)
    85.3%
  1. Thumpinthenight

Thumpinthenight Supporting Member

This may have been brought up before, but just wondering how many of us are playing bass as a main source of income, and who is playing for a side hobby and a few x-tra buck$. Of course, we all love playing bass or we would not be here reading this.
    For myself, I have a semi-proffessional day job as a Chemical Lab Research Tech, and also work the same place as a relief Stationary Engineer boiler operator. I somehow find some time for my bass, and playing in my own personal band project as well, but am thinking about an "early retirement" and picking up the "bass pace". I have several band friends that are always asking me to play for them as well. What are thoughts and your situation? :bassist:
  2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

You should have done a poll ;)
    Hobbyist.
  3. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Just as a hobby for now (since I'm only 15), but I'm hoping I can get a career in it.
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

You need to do the math. How much do the gigs pay? How often do they really gig? Can you live on that amount?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thumpinthenight

Thumpinthenight Supporting Member

Good advice, Phangton.
  7. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

I am a fulltime professional musician. I do ok at best but I do make as much and usually more playing every week as I did working for my family as an inside salesman at an electrical supply warehouse...no ac(fun in Texas summers) and lots of heavy lifting. I had a decent musical education but always tried to do the original band thing after I got out of school and didn't really take the plunge into being a full time musician until 28, which I feel puts me at a big disadvantage considering one of the local colleges(UNT, which I did not attend) has one of the best music programs on earth and a lot of these guys stick around.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Weekend warrior/ hobbyist.
    There are very few here who make a living playing bass.
    Most of my buddies teach full time to make a living in music.
  9. pfox14

pfox14

Making a living as a musician is not too easy, so I'll keep it as a hobby.
  10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I took up bass, my first instrument, in my early 40s, just for fun. I already had a successful career, so never wanted anything more than fun out of playing bass.
  11. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

I would say I'm a serious hobbyist. I literally make no money at all from playing bass, in fact it actually ends up costing me a lot more than I make. I'm in an original band though so it's pretty much impossible to make any decent money in a local, original band. I don't do it for money though, I do it because I love it. I look at it this way, some guys race cars, some guys work on motor cycles, I play music. For some reason, a lot of people can't wrap their head around that analogy, every time I tell someone I'm in a band, they ask me if I'm trying to be famous or if I'm making any money. When I tell them the answer is no to both question, they look at me like I'm an idiot and ask me why am I in a band then.
  12. Limadito

Limadito

Just a sitting room hobbyist.
  13. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wish I could do it for a living but at this point I would have to say I do it as a hobby with hopes to make a decent living off of it. I have no delusions like my guitarist, Im more realistic. I have all the confidence in the world in my band regardless, but Im real about it. So as much as I would love to say I do it for a living, I have to be honest and say I am at the hobby point with hopes of it becoming a moderate to successful living.
  14. but_ch

but_ch

Honestly, I like being a weekend warrior. I have a day job which affords me the gear I want (mostly,) but I am concerned that if I were to try to squeak out a living playing I might not like the playing as much. That, or I would have to take crappy gigs to make ends meet.

If I were in a major city it might be a different story, though.
  15. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Hobby only. I have a very good paying job in Marketing, and I'm "only" 40 years old. Retirement is still away, and can't imagine making anywhere close to what I make as a musician. Although the local market pays hobby-bands pretty well (around $1000/night, no matter how many musicians are in the band), the local circuit is too small, and touring would be out of the question. So...hobby it is, at least for the next 20 years or so.
  16. edpal

edpal Fighting the LIKES, +1 @ a time Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Your poll is too limited (I could swear it was created by bluewine). "playing bass seriously while hoping to transition to pro gigs." "Playing at a pro level but not expecting pay because it's all originals". The contention that playing is either hobby or make-a-buck work is insulting to the approximately 60% of TBers that have no interest in cover band work but do not consider their efforts "hobby".
  17. Maz

Maz

Hobby player. I got over wanting to "make it" when my first band went sour 20 years ago and I realized I don't really like the music scene. I even quit playing bass for 8 years at one point, but came back to it, and now I'm in a garage band with no ambition to become more than that. I have full time stable work and am going to school part time in addition to having two other hobbies :woodworking and keeping a reef aquarium. Playing bass for me is a creative outlet and a way to blow off steam. I love it, but I would never try to make a living off it.
  18. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    i play for the army. I consider it semi-pro. Pro's have techs, roadies, and groupies!
  19. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

100% hobbyist, I'm not even playing in a band at this point.
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

21. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have done both over the past 35 years. I do a lot of gigs and recording work. I have also done some music for a couple of television shows and some foreign films.