Played a 4003 this weekend...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bannerman, Oct 29, 2012.

1. bannerman

bannerman

Did not like.

I love the way they look and sound.

I do not like the way they feel. I typically play with a pick and it feels like the pickup cover is in exactly the wrong spot. Can't play comfortably. Additionally, I do a lot of palm muting in my music and of course with that bridge it's impossible. But even if I were to replace the bridge, I'd have to also remove the pickup protector thing in order to be able to rest my palm in the right place and also get to the strings. I'd really be unable to play my songs properly with this bass.

Am I the only one who feels like this about the 4003?

If I take off the pickup cover and replace the bridge will it even be a Ric anymore?
  2. pdusen

pdusen

Why wouldn't it be? Isn't this a ric?

[​IMG]
  3. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

It's a very common change to get rid of the pickup cover. I've never had a problem with the stock bridge.

In the end, if it's not for you, it doesn't matter how nice it looks and sounds.
  4. LowEndGroover

LowEndGroover Gold Supporting Member

Bought a 4003 earlier this year and returned it for similar reasons. I love the look and sound as well. But, came to realize that I prefer to have other people play them.

Re: the pick guard, removing it will make it much easier to play. The bridge is something that I can't really comment on.

Best of luck!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

I removed the pickup cover and got the Hipshot replacement bridge for my Rick, when I had one. It definitely made the bass easier to play and made bridge adjustments much easier, so if those are your only gripes, then that's an easy fix. I still didn't care for the feel of the bass though, even with the new bridge, as the bridge pickup was left with a hole right where my finger lands when I play, the string spacing was a bit odd, and the hard edge on the top of the body made it uncomfortable still. Great looking and sounding bass, but many will tell you they just can't get along with the ergonomics of the 4003.
  7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Removing the pickup cover was the FIRST thing I did. I'm with you on the bridges. I prefer the Hipshot, sold the stock one. I'm pretty sure it's still a Ric... ;)
  8. bannerman

bannerman

You're right, it's still a great looking bass.
  9. satellite4

satellite4

I played one over the weekend too. Had some $$ from my recent bass sales and was seriously considering buying one from the TB classifieds. Agree that the pickup guard just has to go to make it more playable. There guards look great but just get in the way.

Really like the look of the Hipshot bridge on your bass spiritbass...
  10. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I don't know anyone who DOESN'T take the pickup cover off.
  11. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

12. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

If you take off the pickup cover and replace the bridge keep the original parts in case you want to sell it, or if it becomes a collector's item one day.
  13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Take the pickup cover off and remove the mute pad and thumscrews from the bridge. You'd be able to pick and palm mute just fine.
  14. bassman64

bassman64

mine is still on

now you know someone...lol
  15. bassman64

bassman64

they are not for everyone. I cannot stand the feel of Fender bass's...

I actually like the P/U cover on. I rest my hand/thumb on it...

"If I take off the pickup cover and replace the bridge will it even be a Ric anymore?"

Um Yes...........almost everyone takes off the p/u cover.
  16. Spectrum

Spectrum

Steve Kille of Dead Meadow leaves his on. (pick player)

So does Al Cisneros of Sleep. (fingerstyle)

And for someone you certainly have heard of, Chris Squire of Yes still has the horeshoe pickup on his Ric, which is pretty much the same as playing with a pickup cover on.

I tried mine with it on for a few months and finally took it off when I swapped out strings. I put in a Treble Bezle to fill the hole and give me a finger rest and now I love it.

As for the bridge, it's not a problem for me so I left it as is. But I don't palm mute, either.

Comfort wise it took me a while to get used to, but it's now my main player and feels natural. Plus it sounds so sweet.
  17. heliotropic

heliotropic Supporting Member

What neck pickup do you have in there?

edit: I guess its stock, I couldn't see the pole pieces at first.
  18. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

19. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I sold the stock pickups. The ones in it now are made by Classic Amplification. They eat the newer stock 'high-gains' for breakfast... ;)

Thanks, satellite4. This replaced the stock bridge after the first time I needed to adjust the intonation.
  20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

21. miles'tone

miles'tone

Try a Ric 4004 instead. MUCH more comfortable to play and the humbuckers sound amazing (I don't own one but I've played one.)
    I used to own a 4001 FWIW and the bloody thing just used to want to hurt me! Sold it and never looked back.
    Never again. If I had the money though I would have a 4004 without thinking twice about it.