Played a bass set up by Lisa Gas's yesterday...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by SplitNick, Mar 25, 2014.

1. SplitNick

SplitNick

Now I'm very sad that I don't have such a set up. Is there anybody comparable in the SE USA?
  2. basic74

basic74

curious - who´s lisa gas and what´s the setup like?
  3. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    Your best bet is probably Dustin Williams at Williams Fine Violins, in Nashville. Dustin does good setups, works fast and is reasonably priced.
  4. iona bass

iona bass Supporting Member

Lisa Gass - owner/luthier of Los Angeles Bassworks.
    On the wall of her shop is a signed photo of the L.A. Philharmonic Bass section, thanking her...
    She's very good.
    Thanks,
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SplitNick

SplitNick

The set up was on the "lady bass" at lemur. The string height was medium-low (maybe in the solo range). The bass was the most playable instrument I've experienced. There was just no effort or strain required to move around the neck and the tone was strong and even across all strings and up the board.

Wish I could be more specific. If you are in or are making a trip to SoCal go check it out.

I have used Dustin in the past, but didn't have a full set up. I really need to get to Nashville.

Side note: I dropped a bow off at M&R Weisshaar for rehair. Really nice guys at a family owned violin shop.
  7. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Did you order white hair or black?
  8. SplitNick

SplitNick

I asked for black. Being in the south and coming into the warm, humid months I like a coarser hair. I had salt and pepper on this bow previously.
  9. mattgray

mattgray

If you're itching and feeling like a road trip, Mario Lamarre in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) is consistently praised for his set-up work. Another option (whose work I have not seen but would imagine to be a good bet) would be Nick Lloyd in Cincinnati, OH. I've played on several of his basses and found similar qualities (but I haven't experienced on basses other than those he made himself). I know it's still a drive, but probably more manageable than LA.
  10. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

It sounds like you're willing to travel for set-up. Trevor Davis did a fantastic job on one of my basses while he worked for Lisa in Los Angeles. He's now in Albuquerque at Robertson's shop. He's an up and coming maker and you're likely to hear much more of him in the future.