1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Played a show that none of us booked last night

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BryanM, Nov 4, 2012.

1. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

I play in a band called buffalo buffalo buffalo and our drummer got a text from an old school friend on Friday asking us what time we go on Saturday. We have a contact at the bar it was supposed to be at so he called up and asked what's going on. She said she didn't do the booking but we should be going on around 11.

Since none of us had prior commitments we decided to go and see what was up. It turns out it was a concert/art opening and one of the artists goes by the name Buffalo. The organizer said "What the hell, you're here, go ahead and play."

We ended up playing a set and it's lucky we were there because the venue's PA was shot and we had ours available so I ran sound for a show and played a show that none of us had booked, and that we were only at because a friend mis-read a poster.
  2. Chipter

Chipter

Sounds like free money to me, that's awesome.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

as in "bison from upstate new york tell fibs"?
  4. oniman7

oniman7

Was there payment involved?
  5. fraublugher

fraublugher

:eyebrow:
  6. ssabass

ssabass

I got it! Good one Walter :)
  7. walterw

it's actually an old semantics and word use exercise.

the full sentence is "Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.", and it means "Upstate NY bison tell fibs to other Upstate NY bison."
  8. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Love that story!
  9. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

No,,we're the Good Ole Boys!
  10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I still don't get it why are the Bison there fibbing in the first place it's usually the deer who are the liars. :)
  11. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

Or "Fibbing bison from upstate New York that fibbing bison from upstate New York fib to fib to fibbing bison from upstate New York that fibbing bison from upstate New York fib to."

Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
  12. walterw

not quite sure that "buffalo" serves as an adjective for "fibbing to" (wouldn't it be "buffalo-ing"?), but either way my hat is off to you sir!
  13. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

To fib to or bully is to buffalo, so if you were to say bison bully bison, it's buffalo buffalo buffalo. The same principle's in play here.