played at a funeral

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bejoyous, Dec 22, 2012.

1. bejoyous

bejoyous

I played at my mother's funeral. Toughest gig ever. I don't really recommend doing it. The performance was ok but it could've been a major disaster.

BTW, I played O Danny Boy in Eb, once in 1/2 position area then an octave higher.
  2. fusoid

fusoid

Condolences. It was nice you played for her service.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    Sorry to hear that. Playing would be a good tribute. I never understand how people close to the departed can sing at funerals without completely falling apart - I always do when they do it.
  4. bejoyous

bejoyous

I was OK during the two minutes of playing but I lost it after I had put the bass down and had gone back to my seat. I had to mentally and physically rehearse it many times before hand, too.

I still don't recommend it. The borrowing an instrument, transporting it, practicing it to get used to it, storing it, etc took up a lot of mental space when I could have been helping my brothers with other stuff.

However, my Mom was my biggest supporter of my musical training and encourager of a musical career so it was nice to pay tribute that way. I guess I would have been full of regret if I hadn't.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Supporting Member

Condolences. Like Chris, I don't think i could hold it together. It's a nice parting gift to your mom that you did.
  7. Michael Case

Michael Case

Condolences, I've done it for a friend. Her mother's funeral myself, guitar, and vocalist. It was pretty tough as soon as we started I heard my friend break down. I couldn't imagine doing it for someone I was close to.
  8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    My condolences on your considerable loss Bryan, and my respect. There's no way I could have played at my mom's funeral.
  9. Treyzer

Treyzer

My feeling exactly! Lost my mom this last August 1st. Didn't have to play, but I had to give the eulogy. One of the hardest things I've ever done! My best to you and yours Bryan.
  10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I can only imagine how hard that was, but I'm sure it meant a lot to your family and it was a beautiful tribute to your mother.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Lifting one up for your family.
  12. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Kudos. I couldn't even bring myself to eulogize my mother at her funeral, I was too broken up. So I send you big props for pulling it together at such an emotional time. Cheers.