Played my first improv jazz solo over a tough song!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ubersheist, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Every Friday night, there's a jazz jam at a local bar. I'm eager to learn, and I show up every week. As such, I've been the defacto house bass player. Last night, the jam was poppin'. Two guitarists, percussionist, trombone/flute player, drummer, keyboardist, trumpet/coronet player. Killer players, and the crowd was digging us.

We played Girl From Ipanema, which has a bunch of very different key changes. It's certainly not the most technical song, but loads more technical then any blues song. They tossed me a solo, and I nailed it. One of the old duffers there said something like "sounds like someone's been practicing!" Felt good! Woohoo! [pats self on back]

This was a personal hurdle. A solo over that song's changes was a big step for me, and I've always not taken one when given one on songs like those. Even at 40, I'm still jazzed (no pun intended) at pushing myself as a musician. Felt very good.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Practice makes perfect. Nice work. :smug:

Ventura is quite a drive for me but what's the club? I like jam nights once in a while.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  3. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

awesome...keep it up

i thought a duffer was someone who
    cant play but pretended to
  4. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Awesome! That's one thing that always gave me a fright when I heard someone call for a bass solo and everybody looked at me. Solos were never my thing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

It gets interesting when the band drops out during the solo. Congrats on the accomplishment , many more to come p
  7. sobie18

sobie18

Good job!
  8. elgecko

elgecko

9. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Beachcombers. It's in the Silverstrand neighborhood near the southwest side of Oxnard.
  10. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

That is awesome! Just more motivation for you to keep practicing!
  11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative