Played my first real Fender in 10 years!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nukes_da_bass, Jan 13, 2014.

1. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

My band had a photo shoot yesterday and I neglected to bring an axe, what with all the costume changes and whatnot- so I rented what appeared to be an MIM Fender lined fretless 4 string jazz from the practice space for the afternoon.
    Underwhelmed. Neck pickup soloed gave me what I wanted- bridge pickup was weak, even the tone pot maxed was about half output of whatever my Certainbass 5 has in it for a potentiometer.
    Rosewood fingerboard was good as was the neck in general. Best feature of the bass. The bass seemed to be based on a 62 or 63 RI due to the strap button on the back of the headstock and the lack of country of origin anywhere on the headstock- which seems silly for a factory lined fretless (but what do I know lol!).
    All in all I will stick to 5 string FSOs. Guess I have to play a "real" Fender once every decade to "keep it real" :)
  2. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

That was "real", alright - real dumb...

- georgestrings
  3. johnson79

johnson79

4. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I hope you at least made sure not to get the bass properly setup and just used it straight from the guitar shop as-is after all the high schoolers have beat on it. That's the best way to judge any bass. Next time don't forget your axe.

[​IMG]
  5. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

LOL....You forgot to bring your bass good one....i wouldnt call a $500 MIM Fender a real Fender.Im sure its nice but i think most people would call a USA Fender the real Fender when it comes to comparing.For the record i have a USA and a Mexico Fenders.No need to hate.
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Is this a girls with axes thread? Here's one.;)

[​IMG]
  7. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

TL;DR: Hay guise, I don't like Fenders, lolol.
  8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Simple random sampling error gone horribly wrong....
  9. nukes_da_bass

I do intend to play a USA FMIC soon for purposes of fairness. So a MIM Fender is fake? LOL! Thought I was pretty honest about what was good and not good about the bass.
  10. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I don't think I've ever liked a bass I've picked up in any practise room, to be honest. But then, I don't then assume all of that manufacturer's range aren't up to scratch.

It's a fairly well documented fact that any mass-produced instrument is going to have variations in quality across the range, and at the very least a decent set up to your ideal specifications. For example, if the neck pup is fine and the bridge isn't then it probably just needed to have it's height altered. Strange thread, really.
  11. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Too late, you used that bass in your publicity shots. Now, since your band is destined to be bigger than Led Zeppelin, you'll be forced to play that crappy bass as a signature model for decades to come and Fender will make a mint from future newbie TB'ers that crave your sound but don't yet know that you used furniture boo-teek basses on the recordings.
  12. Doctor J

Doctor J

That's not a real Fender either, it's like a big name old band with no original members touring. Sure the logo and the name on the ticket is right but you didn't write these songs! :bag:
  13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I was underwhelmed as well
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Anyone see the contradiction above???

- georgestrings
  15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1
  16. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

"rented... what appeared to be... from the practice space"

You don't know what it is - it's rented from a practice space - what was the point of the thread?

"I might have played a Fender that is regularly passed around by students and non-bassists and I didn't like it."

OK, thanks for the input.
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

This is a girl vampire bass player thread now?

[​IMG]

Um...beat up practice room rental bass does not equal "I tried a Fender". It equals "I played a beat-up-un-cared-for beater bass and didn't like it."
  18. nukes_da_bass

Keep the axe girls coming! Much more enlightening than the hate.
    I agree this thread has become sadly predictable- my less than perfect review of an FMIC product, and the cultists whom cant accept less than awesome.reviews of FMIC products.
    Ill go so far as to give the bass a 6.8 out of 10 based on the real factors I was able to evaluate within an informal jam and also based on the dozens of Fender 4 string Jazz basses ive played over the last 35 years.
    6.8 out of 10 is hardly a troll review.
    Flame on!
  19. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

Yes - I'm a Fender fanboy - which led me to click into this thread.

The problem is - you couldn't even identify it as a Fender. Did you know there are a TON of knockoffs on the Fender design?

Then to end the "Review" with the smarmy "All in all I will stick to 5 string FSOs. Guess I have to play a "real" Fender once every decade to "keep it real"

It is a troll post - negative post about a company and you don't even know if it is made by that company.

Hardly any "Hate" here - but the post is unfounded from soup to nuts.
  20. nukes_da_bass

More axe girls please!!!! :)